More power for better sound at low volumes?

Hello All,

I'm wondering if a more powerful amp will provide better sound at lower volumes, all other things being equal. For example, my Jeff Rowland Concerto is rated 250 into 8ohms and 500 into 4. A Bryston is rated 300 and 600. Does that mean I could get better low volume sound with the Bryston? If not, what is the secret to better low volume sound?

As usual, thanks in advance!
rustler
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler
Mike60,

I would tend to agree with your assessment.

Lower efficiency often goes in hand with deeper bass extension. The Fletcher-Munson Effect that ALmarg referenced comes into play at lower volumes still which negates that aspect of the design somewhat at lower volume, in lieu of specialized equalization at the lower volume.

Higher efficiency speakers as a whole will probably tend to do all the rest better in general since they will punt somewhat on the bass extension in favor of other things, but there are many exceptions, so it is very hard to generalize effectively.
I like the comment about power supplies. We've been using HEXFREDs for 17 years; getting rid of the noise floor is a big deal when you have to run the amp at lower power levels.

In amplifiers if there are published specs, look for the distortion to decline linearly towards zero without a dip and increase as power decreases. You will find that this rules about about 90% of existing amplifiers, but if you play the amp at low power a lot is well worth while; IMO that is true even if you don't.
I went from sim i5.3 (85) to kwi 200 (200)a side.Absolutly yes.Has all the bass definition and dynamics intact.Really had to strain to hear(plus im getting Old)with lower wattage amp.
"Better sound," as pointed out by some of the comments here, is such a nebulous concept and means quite different things to different people, depending on what type of musical experience they prefer. Notice that I say "musical," for surely the passion that music may or not display is primary to and not always related to the sound, as many people assume. In fact, mild distortion is sometimes capable of adding a pleasant dimension to the music and can add to its enjoyment. About a year ago, I authored an approach to musical enjoyment on my own website, www.tut37alive.net/ and I think I titled it "So You Want to Buy a High-End Stereo?" Though my site covers such topics as Love. Death, Morality, etc., some readers may find it interesting.
The "key" in the question posed by Rustler was: ALL 'things' being 'equal'!
Rustler, having been a sales consultant for Clevelands' premiere A/V dealer and a CERTIFIED electronics tech since 1984, 'it' really does come down to 'basic electronics'!

IT TAKES TEN TIMES (10X) THE POWER FOR A HUMAN TO PERCEIVE SOUND TO BE TWICE (2X) AS LOUDÂ…PERIOD.

YES . . . more (QUALITY) power will provide a 'cleaner' LOW-VOLUME sound, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL!

HOPE 'THIS' HELPS, WITHOUT ALL THE 'TWEAKY-BABBLE'!