CAT SL1 vs Modwright LS 36.5

Hi all,

I am considering CAT SL1 without phono or Modwright LS 36.5 to pair with my PASS LAB X250.5 ... would like to know which amp would be better... Btw would Modwright LS 36.5 be better because of XLR connections...? Please share your experiences....
clarrie
Don't agree with Rfogel18 at all. The CAT is in another league to most all preamps out there. To bring it up several notches, tube rolling is what I found to really make it sing. IMHO, the Modwright isn't in the same league at all vs. the CAT. Add some NOS Mullards to the CAT and again IMHO, neither is the MP-1.
As they say, the CAT rules.
Daveyf, it sounds like you have not heard the MP-1, because if you did you may need to clean out your ears a little. The CAT preamp was a great preamp at the original asking price. The prices are now to high for that preamp. There are much better preamps and the MP-1 is one of the best and way better than the CAT. I don't have an ax to grind as I don't own the MP-1, but I heard it in direct comparison with the cat and the MP-1 is more refined, extended, and yes more organic. The CAT is very dynamic but has a much more forward sound stage. Yes the Cat sounds better with tube rolling, but so does any other preamp. I would also say that the MP-1 is quieter and also is balanced which is a plus.
i think the MP-1 is more expensive than the CAT right? My budget is about $5000. So at that price range is Modwright 36.5 a good choice or there are other options. The most i can stretch is about the price of the CAT SL1... Please advice. Thanks
Jwm, I have heard the MP-1 on several occasions. IF you like a more diffuse and colored presentation, then yes, I would agree with you. OTOH,IF you prefer accuracy to source and a more dynamic presentation, then the CAT is IMO better. BTW, my ears are just fine, how are yours?
Clarrie, IMHO, the CAT would give you a great deal of pleasure and you won't go wrong with it.
Well, since comparisons have been made, I`ll give my impression. The CAT is good and depending on system make up and matching can sound very good. The Atmasphere MP-1 is superior sounding and IMO is just in a higher tier altogether.It is across the board better without even one advantage toward the CAT if compared directly.

I could see the CAT and Modwright being very competitive yet rather different in character.The CAT consistently has demostrated a tendency in the direction of lean tonality,forwardness and more aggressive presentation. With certain component mixtures this could be desirable and in other cases a fault.Taste are going to vary as always.A used MP-1 would be within reach,something to think about.
Regards,