CAT SL1 vs Modwright LS 36.5

Hi all,

I am considering CAT SL1 without phono or Modwright LS 36.5 to pair with my PASS LAB X250.5 ... would like to know which amp would be better... Btw would Modwright LS 36.5 be better because of XLR connections...? Please share your experiences....
clarrie
i think the MP-1 is more expensive than the CAT right? My budget is about $5000. So at that price range is Modwright 36.5 a good choice or there are other options. The most i can stretch is about the price of the CAT SL1... Please advice. Thanks
Jwm, I have heard the MP-1 on several occasions. IF you like a more diffuse and colored presentation, then yes, I would agree with you. OTOH,IF you prefer accuracy to source and a more dynamic presentation, then the CAT is IMO better. BTW, my ears are just fine, how are yours?
Clarrie, IMHO, the CAT would give you a great deal of pleasure and you won't go wrong with it.
Well, since comparisons have been made, I`ll give my impression. The CAT is good and depending on system make up and matching can sound very good. The Atmasphere MP-1 is superior sounding and IMO is just in a higher tier altogether.It is across the board better without even one advantage toward the CAT if compared directly.

I could see the CAT and Modwright being very competitive yet rather different in character.The CAT consistently has demostrated a tendency in the direction of lean tonality,forwardness and more aggressive presentation. With certain component mixtures this could be desirable and in other cases a fault.Taste are going to vary as always.A used MP-1 would be within reach,something to think about.
Regards,
Charles1dad, you say that the CAT is "good and depending on system
make up and matching can sound very good". What systems and match-
ups have you heard it in? Sounds like not even close to what it can actually do.
Plus you say the CAT has a lean tonality, can be forward and more
aggressive..You sure you've listened to a CAT??
Not any CAT that I have ever heard!
Daveyf, I wasn't knocking the CAT and if you reread my post, you'll see I owned several of them over many years and enjoyed every one.

I notice you own two older CATs and apparently you feel your ox has been gored because I said the MP-1 is better. IT IS!!!

After living with all those CATs, including a couple versions more current than either one of yours, I know how they sound as well as anyone. As for tube rolling, I always ran NOS, mostly Tele's, but the forward, aggressive character remained. I always thought it was my digital until the MP-1 came along.

JWM and Charles are exactly right, as much as I liked all my CATs, every one of them came across sounding a bit lean and cool. When pushed, the sound became hard and aggressive. JWM owned a couple versions, newer than either one of yours, and he had the same complaint. He now runs a very nice VAC preamp which also outclasses the CAT, hands down!

You mention you've heard the MP-1. I suppose if it were an older unit, you might judge the CAT to be better; a matter of opinion I won't take issue with. All I know is, brand new, fresh outta the box, the MP-1 Mk 3 wiped the floor with my well used CAT Ultimate Mk 2. The MP-1 is way more refined, more open, transparent, detailed and dynamic. It soundstages as well as anything I've ever heard and as JWM said, it sounds very organic, with fleshed out images that sound totally believable. No way the MP-1 is "diffuse and colored". What nonsense!

Clarrie, don't take my criticism of the CAT too hard. At it's price, it is a very good preamp. No way JWM and I would have lived with them as long as we did if they weren't very good. But... none of them can be compared to a good VAC or a fairly recent MP-1.

Charles owns a really nice Coincident preamp which I'd also consider. I haven't heard it in my system but I have heard his setup and he always has wonderful sound.

OK Daveyf, I'm ready; give me both barrels.