Oppo BDP-95 as a pure two channel audio source?

Curious to know if anyone out there has purchased the Oppo BDP-95 soely on its merit as a dedicated two channel audio source? If so, how does it stack up comparatively speaking. Thanks
jayh31
I have records and a PHONO unit that are 40 years old and still work! Chew on that for a second.

Now chew on this, are you going to capture that "elusive" (it sure is!) sound when the digital format keeps changing it's spots? It isn't even the same animal year to year. Punch cards to tape to 5.25 floppy, to 3.5" floppy, to optical dics (CD, SACD, super DVD and blure ray), ETC. This is but the physical media, the format media is even worse (serial, parallel, USB (several flavors), fire wire, ETC. Nothing is as fleeting as digital, or data as "lost" in the format cycle. Oh I know, YOU have it licked "this" time it's different! Did you put ALL your records on CD an throw them away (I didn't)? Well, when the optical format goes, so does your music.

I want to relax with my stereo. Plop in a (something) and LISTEN. I don't want to run an IT department to load music. And yes, I'm an engineer. I build my PC's as they go obsolete and wonder why my 40 year old records sound so good.

I would love to be able to use a blue-ray recorder and hi-res files for music. I've heard Blue-ray as a format is already on the way out since we all use MP3's!. A nice little disc with two hours of music won't tax my old body one bit getting up off the couch. And, it is easily moved about. Fidelity is as near what even the best systems to manage (better dynamic range than ANY system can manage!). Shoot the engineer and format an AUDIO digital standard.

A record is a great example of doing it right. It maxed out the media quickly, and stopped. Sure, there was wax drums, 78 and such but the fidelity was measurably poor. When LP's were developed, the fidelity was exception even to measuement. A record made today is no different than it was in 1970. Well, they can use digital DACs and screw it up! 24/196 can be that standard. Over 50 years and counting.

I'd say USB stick except that this "standard" can't be kept still long enough to make it "legacy" to anything except temporary data storage. My music media needs to be more than temporary, and so does the standard.
Jayh31,

The only way to truly know if it is for you is to buy a unit and try it, remember Oppo has a 30 day return policy you just pay shipping. You can read what we say all day but it is your ears and your system that it will be working in. I am a 2 channel lover and have converted to multi channel also. I just replaced my Ayre CX-7e with the Oppo BDP-105. I was set to buy the BDP-95 but had heard that the 105 was being released. I wanted and needed a universal player and did not want to spend 10K on the Ayre CX-5 unit. I am so glad I waited. Before I even get into the sonic differences I used a particular CD that has been scratched and cannot play correctly in my Ayre Cx-7e. I tried the same disc in the Oppo and it played it flawlessly!

I did allow the 105 to "burn in" before making a serious comparison. What made the comparison easy is I was able to use the same XLR (Synergistic Research) and power cable (BMI Whale elite) so the same sonic signature would be there. In a nut shell the Ayre was slightly warmer and lush in the mids. Low end about the same with both units. The Oppo BDP-105 has slightly better detail towards the top but not bright and a wide soundstage that puts the soundfield into perspective as it should be especially on classical pieces. I think you should try it and decide for yourself as I am referring to the BDP-105 and not the BDP-95, the analog section in the BDP-105 is really nice and as I said the Ayre is a good sounding unit as we all know. I personally believe Oppo took some of the ideas that Charles Hansen from Ayre had put into the older CX-5 universal player but in a more cost effective solution such as upgrading the power supply.
Thanks for the input Statman, appreciate it. I'm curious, would you prefer the 105 over your Ayre if you were not converting to multi=channel? Thanks, Jayh31
I can confirm statman remark about the ayre being picky with scratches. I had a couple used cd's that were slightly scratched, never had an issue with my other players. Lets just say they were not playable in the C5xeMP. Since I realized this I have not purchased a single used cd, I also keep my new disks in immaculate condition, have not had a single skip since I got rid of the used disks almost a year ago. On the oppo 95, I felt it was an obvious sonic downgrade, but as statman pointed out I tried it for a month and only paid about $30 or so for the shipping and was promptly refunded. It's worth trying if you can detatch from a grand for a few weeks. But after a year with the Ayre I am still thrilled with it and have no desire to sell it, which as an audiophile is definitely saying something lol.
Thanks Harri009. I considered taking advantage of the retuen policy with the Oppo 105, however, after considerable discussion with several video and audiophiles alike who have consierable experience with the 95, my suspicions have been confirmed. And those are, (just as you have pointed out) that the Oppo 95/105, in spite of all the hype, is not, (nor is it intented to be), a source designed to compete with the best dedicated audiophile digital sources, such as your Ayre or my Bryston for that matter. So with that, based on my needs, I don't believe the Oppo offers enough for me to go through with the try it and return it exercise. It does appear as though that Oppo is hitting it's target market, those being the video enthusiast looking for a quality, flexible, digital TV source, and not to those committed to recreating a dedicated two channel, lifelike, music experience, which of course as we know, is a completely different ball game. jayh31