Can You Get 1,000 WPC Out Of Regular Wall Socket?

I see the new Emotiva (100 lbs) and Boulder (450 lbs!!) 1,000 WPC monoblocs require a dedicated 20 amp circuit per monobloc.

I recently read where someone had his Krell 750mcx monobocs changed from 110 to 220 because he said they sounded better.

Well, the D-sonic digital amp weighs 20 pounds and is rated at 1500 WPC. Can an amp pull 1500 WPC from a regular household wall socket?
128x128mitch4t
Mitch, there isn't much information provided about those amplifiers at the D-Sonic site. If you haven't already done so, I would suggest that you research and/or try to confirm with the manufacturer that they can handle the extremely low impedance of the Kappa 9.

The Kappa 9s, when used with their "extended/normal" switch in the "extended" position (which iirc seemed to be the most commonly preferred setting), go down below 0.8 ohms at multiple bass frequencies, where lots of energy is typically required. The "normal" mode is not quite as severe, but is still very challenging.

Also, I don't know what their phase angle behavior is in the bass region, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was significantly capacitive, adding to the severity of the load.

My impression is that the impedance characteristics of the Kappa 9s, rather than their inefficiency, are the main reason for their reputation as amp killers, although both factors undoubtedly contribute.

Regards,
-- Al
Map, I've never tried a class D amp before. The whole
concept of small amps delivering that kind of power is
intriguing to me. I have Carver Silver 9t monoblocs that do
an excellent job in a biamp config on the Kappa 9. They
weigh only 13 pounds each...the Pass monoblocs weight more
than 130 lbs each. The Carvers actually deliver bass with
much more authority than the Pass monoblocs. But, the
Carver amps are 20-25 years old. I need to get rid of them
before they go bad. I'm looking for some 21st century
amplification and to save some money. If this class D stuff
is all it's cracked up to be, there's nothing more than I'd
like better to do than get rid of all this "Big
Iron" and go small and efficient.

Ddd1...Hmm, no mention on the D-Sonic site on whether the
1500 wpc is sustained or for milliseconds. That really
changes the picture if it's only for milliseconds.

Al...I will make inquiries directly to D-Sonic and do some
research as you have suggested. D-Sonic has a 21-day trial
with a 10% restocking fee.

I doubt power ratings for any switching amp is "sustained", but not sure exactly how to quantify it. Al could probably do it better or maybe agoner Kijanki if he is out there (both excellent EEs).

I have heard mixed reviews with Class D amps on very difficult load speakers like the Infinity's seem to be. The devil would be in the details I suppose. My OHMs are not easy, but I suspect not as difficult either. I might go out on a limb though and say that if the Carver amps can handle it, a good Class D design with a good power supply design (not stock Icepower for example) probably would do fairly well. Again, devil in the details.

I had a 360 w/ch Carver m4.0t amp for years before recent upgrades, two amps ago, running older, larger Maggies and my OHMs. Bass WAS wall shaking prodigious on the OHMs with proper recordings, well recorded organ music, etc. Bass with my Bel Canto Ref1000m is equally impressive, but night and day, way more clean, powerful, and nuanced, though I seldom get the wall shaking effects that the old Carver gear (amp and pre-amp) used to provide. I think it has more to do with the low end rolloff of my ARC sp16 tube pre-amp compared to the old Carver pre-amp than with the amps though.
The Carver monoblocs are rated at 575 wpc @ 8 ohms and 900 wpc @ 4 ohms. I am using two monoblocs per speaker to drive the Kappa 9. One monobloc per speaker just doesn't get optimal results.
Capacitors arre the magic key to using more power than you can suck from the wall.
My Furman REF20i power conditioner has a huge automotive size stiffening cap in it for exactly those moments when the equipment wants more voltage than the wall can deliver.