Bandwidth Limitations Of Class D Amps??

Audiogon member Kijanki said :
Some people argue that class D, as good as it is for the money, cannot really compete with best traditional SS amp. I can see that, especially with still limited bandwidth...
What are the bandwidth limitations of class D amps, and is it audible?
128x128mitch4t
Uhrn, George.... I apologize, but I develop stomach cramps whenever attempting to cope with the kafkian use of dangling pronouns... So, wouldn't you mind disambiguating a bit, and churn out some honest to Gaia makes and models, so to alleviate my psycho-somatic angsts?

May I also suggest you rest for a spell your cherished passion for ancient historiography of class D lore -- admittedly of the most guruesque kind: leave your oscillators and spectrum analyzers at home, go out in the field, and treat yourself to some listening of brand new class D amps!

You might find the experience, uhrn... well.... "Veritas'bly" uplifting *grins!*
Obviously there is a vested interset in a Class D amp and some are not open to what the best amp makers are saying.
The only ones that have bought out models of class D along side of their flagship linears amps are the ones who want to make money out of them. (It's called keeping the shareholders happy)because they are very cheap to produce compared to great linear designs.
It's too early yet to consider them in the hi end, like I have said I will be the first one to change over to them when the future technology for the switching frequency becomes much higher than it is at present, then they should be comparable or even beat a good linear designs.

Cheers George
Obviously there is a vested interset in a Class D amp and some are not open to what the best amp makers are saying
:)!

I don't think GC builds & sells class D amps in his spare time... really.
Just as an idea: listen to a couple. I did. I wasn't enthused by the sound. OTOH it wasn't really bad, just not as good as my amps (which also cost 11x more).
No I don't anyone here builds or sell class d amps either.
What I said and meant was
"there is a vested interset in a Class D amp"
Which means "A personal stake or involvement" in that amp.

Cheers george
Hmmm.... Excellent suggestion George... May be I should really invest in some leading creators of novel class D power conversion modules and amps. My ears tell me it would be a "sound" investment... Unfortunately my wife, source of all financial advice, and always to be heeded in such momentous matters, won't "hear" about it... She insists that only blue chips shall do.

Bottomline... I shall undoubtedly remain poor, but at least audiophilically happy.

I shall now leave you to your fascinating conjectures, whilst you pour over ancient tomes of obsolete lore and alchemic apparata.