Amplifier's age

I see posts about an amplifier's age and how it's getting long in the tooth. What does that mean? If you maintain your equipment, caps etc., it's well made to begin with, it doesn't use rare transistors and such what difference does it make? Maybe a new amp sounds better, maybe it doesn't. I see amps especially SS McIntosh amps that were made back at the dawn of transistor technology still plugging along. Some tube amps are 50-60 years old. Is it because we always have to find the next thing?
128x128digepix
Yes there will always be competent techs. And yes, there will be enough carcasses to cannibalize in ours and the lifetime to come. Just because in addition to the original designers and builders, a large tech fan base will exist for great stuff, which actually is a very good yard stick for eligible candidates. Of which my 3 TNT200's and TNT120 just rebuilt/modded by Roy Esposito are good examples of. I have several other GAS gear done by Mike Bettinger and a local tech. Also a pair of vintage LSR&D Leach Superamp monos rebuilt locally. They are all stellar performers. The key is to trust the technician with the "right" and the best feedback/references. Lots of unwitting customers give good feedback just because it's "working" again. Those techs are a dime a dozen.
Do your homework! Don't be fooled by certain outfits just because they're advertizing here or elseware running prominent businesses. Quite often that is the best disguise. I've been burned this way more than once. Can't name any names where it happened.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it." I have owned several amplifiers from the 1960s including Marantz 9, Marantz 8B, Scott LK150 and Dynaco amps that were completely original and sounded very nice. I also own amplifers from the mid to late 1970s also completely original that will give many current day amplifiers a run for their money in terms of coherence, soundstage, tonal balance and clarity. These amplifiers have all been checked out by my tech and they meet specs.