Does Mc Intosh make reference gear

I have been reading the current thread here about Mc Intosh being bashed. People are saying they use cheap parts or have a 70's type of sound. I don't know the Mc line that well. Do they make a reference line? If they do why don't you ever hear about it? If they don't maybe they should. I'm sure audiophiles would give more props to Mc Intosh if they made some cutting edge products.
taters
I'm glad no one is beating up on Burson gear. My hackles/dander would be up.
Add to that the Aussie invasion debate and this thread would go on forever.
Audiozen, my operative is 'invasion', yours is 'New England'. Wherever it came from originally, the British in the UK had it down in the mid to late 70's. They simply did better with existing design concepts back then. Examples that imo are still competitive with current products found anywhere.
Disagree. Having bought my first system in the mid 70's and circulated the high end stores in my town constantly during that time, there was no sign of British products standing out and above American products in the stores.
During the mid and late 70's, it was America and Japan putting out the best products on the market. One good example is Sansui. Their build and sound quality from that time period was remarkable. Another good example was Phase Linear which Bob Carver founded in 1968. Their amps and preamps in the 70's were great and back then McIntosh was at the top of their game. Your comment is a first on Gon giving the Brit's a commanding spot in the 70's is greatly
exaggerated.