Looking to get started. please help

Hi everyone. I am new here. I had a friend suggest I check this site out. I am really new to higher end audio and am looking for some help!

For years I have been listening to music on a crappy surround sound system and I feel it's time to move on.

I know I am at the VERY low end, but right now I would like to spend about $1500 on speakers and amp at the most to move on to something better. Over time, I'd invest more money, but that's my max at the moment.

My main sources for listening to music would be a record player, my iPod, computer and occasionally my TV. Because I am not really into movies or anything like that, I've definitely decided I don't need anything more than a 2-channel system.

I went to a local shop and this was what was recommended to me...

Receiver - Onkyo
http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8050&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

Speakers - PSB
http://www.wwstereo.com/PSB/IMAGINEBBA

But, then someone told me to come to this site and ask for advice. I was also told that I really shouldn't get a receiver, but instead get an integrated amp.

I really need help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
rootsrockreggae
Hi Roots

High-end audio is both very easy and very hard. The easy bit is you simply listen to gear - lots of gear - to know what you like. It really is that easy. The hard part is - for some reason - people don't want to do the easy bit. They come up with all sorts of reasons - remote location, no dealers, confused and need some help, become addicted to what magazines like Sterophile and Absolute Sound say thinking they will lead to audio nirvana, or throw up their hand entirely and become part of the blind tests show all competently designed gear sounds the same crowd.

Don't fall for it - make time to hear gear, if you don't have dealers near you use the Hi Fi forums to find fellow audiophiles and hear their systems, join an audiophile club. You will likely find like me that the large boys stuff you hear at dealers are often (not always - but often) no where near as good as stuff direct sold that you can only hear at fellow audiophiles places - for the money anyway. But no need to take my word for it - simply listen to gear and I believe that will quickly become clear.

As for a specific recommendation to seek out and listen to I suggest, in your price range, the Martin Logan Electromotion:
http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-ElectroMotion-ESL-Electrostatic-Loudspeaker/dp/B004M8S12A

Thanks
Bill
I'm not sure you need a DAC. You can connect your TV and your iPOD with RCA connectors to any input on the new integrated or receiver.
For subwoofer later, you can connect via the receiver's preamp outs, or if it doesn't have preamp outs then can be connected via the speaker cables (make sure the new sub has these inputs).
The Martin Logans are good speakers, I've heard them several times at shows. The reason I think the Tekton recommendations are better is because they are less expensive and they are very amp friendly, IOW they are easy to drive. Most logans that do not have powered subs (like the ones suggested above) are the opposite, difficult to drive so they would likely need a more powerful/more expensive amp.
But also keep in mind that there are many many choices besides the few that have been recommended to you (speakers and amps). You should use these recs as starting points to find what you want.
I can't thank everyone enough for all the advice.

I have found a NAD 326 integrated amp, used for $350 that I am looking to possibly pull the trigger on. The big difference between the 326 and 316 seems to be the power. So, I figure why not buy the one with more power used for a better price.

I've also e-mailed Tekton about the mini lore. I like the 30-day return policy and I'd love to try them out. I don't think I have found one negative review on those. I am wondering what Erik at Tekton thinks about those going with the NAD 326.
I have found a NAD 326 integrated amp, used for $350 that I am looking to possibly pull the trigger on. The big difference between the 326 and 316 seems to be the power. So, I figure why not buy the one with more power used for a better price.
Sounds like a good idea, and get a pair of Mini Lore's. I was thinking about the DAC for better sound quality with the iPod and TV, but you could just get started without it as Sebrof said. This might be wise since I found out that Peachtree will be introducing a new version of the iDAC in the near future. Priorities may even change once you start using the system.
Another vote for the m-lore, they are fantastic low-cost speakers, you can't go wrong with them.