Looking to get started. please help

Hi everyone. I am new here. I had a friend suggest I check this site out. I am really new to higher end audio and am looking for some help!

For years I have been listening to music on a crappy surround sound system and I feel it's time to move on.

I know I am at the VERY low end, but right now I would like to spend about $1500 on speakers and amp at the most to move on to something better. Over time, I'd invest more money, but that's my max at the moment.

My main sources for listening to music would be a record player, my iPod, computer and occasionally my TV. Because I am not really into movies or anything like that, I've definitely decided I don't need anything more than a 2-channel system.

I went to a local shop and this was what was recommended to me...

Receiver - Onkyo
http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8050&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

Speakers - PSB
http://www.wwstereo.com/PSB/IMAGINEBBA

But, then someone told me to come to this site and ask for advice. I was also told that I really shouldn't get a receiver, but instead get an integrated amp.

I really need help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
rootsrockreggae
I can't thank everyone enough for all the advice.

I have found a NAD 326 integrated amp, used for $350 that I am looking to possibly pull the trigger on. The big difference between the 326 and 316 seems to be the power. So, I figure why not buy the one with more power used for a better price.

I've also e-mailed Tekton about the mini lore. I like the 30-day return policy and I'd love to try them out. I don't think I have found one negative review on those. I am wondering what Erik at Tekton thinks about those going with the NAD 326.
I have found a NAD 326 integrated amp, used for $350 that I am looking to possibly pull the trigger on. The big difference between the 326 and 316 seems to be the power. So, I figure why not buy the one with more power used for a better price.
Sounds like a good idea, and get a pair of Mini Lore's. I was thinking about the DAC for better sound quality with the iPod and TV, but you could just get started without it as Sebrof said. This might be wise since I found out that Peachtree will be introducing a new version of the iDAC in the near future. Priorities may even change once you start using the system.
Another vote for the m-lore, they are fantastic low-cost speakers, you can't go wrong with them.
If you are looking for and Int. amp, there's an Arcam Alpha 8 for sale on Agon for $235. Another fantastic int. amp is an NAD 302, if you can find one. Matched w/the right spks. and other aux. equipment...pure musical pleasure. As far as Spks, there is so many great ones to chose from. You could easily put toegether a very satisfying system for way less than $1500. Bill
Thanks, BIll. I actually pulled the trigger on the NAD 326 yesterday so I am set on an integrated amp.

Now on to speakers! As I mentioned, I e-mailed Tekton but Eric has not gotten back to me. I am wondering if those will match up nicely with the 326.