Simple & Cheap Way to Cut Turntable Vibrations

This OP is dedicated to Elizabeth, A'gon's paragon of audio economics and sensibility.

I accidentally discovered a way to substantially reduce bass and vibration feedback into my VPI Classic turntable. Oh, I have to thank my wife too. Last week my wife asked me to place padded furniture stickies under the feet of our bed to protect the hardwood floor.

I looked as these cheap gizmos and said to myself, I have a better idea. I place a padded sticky under each foot of my TT. I was amazed by how much it really reduced feedback. I even knocked on the el cheapo IKEA table on which I placed the TT -- no feedback. Trust me, the IKEA table is the worst place to put any audio equipment, especially a TT.

Try it folks and let the rest of us know what you think.
bifwynne
I have a Technics 1200 MK5 with an Audio Technica 150 MLX set up on a glass shelf in an equipment rack.

Could hear vibration when I tapped the tt deck or side.

Tried Sorbothane 1.5 inch half spheres. The vibration went away.

Got a 1.5 inch thick piece of butcher block to replace the glass panel. Also added Dayton Audio gold speaker feet.

Could not detect a difference between the two approaches but did free up the sorbothane feet to better isolate the CD player - they helped there too.

I run W4S pre and amp with maggie 3.6's.
Other DIY options...Cork ring coasters...hockey pucks...large metal cones similiar to what Totem uses for their speakers...good luck
Bifwynne, Mike has a good idea. Essentially Herbie's Audio "Isocups"
with "Supersonic Hardballs" are naught but small "dead"
squash-like balls. And they should work well. The Herbie's part is cheap
enough to consider, and the cup he supplies will keep your balls from rolling off
the shelf, if you will pardon the image.

Phasecorrect, Thanks for your support. Have you tried it? I use Stillpoints feet
with their supplied cups, but I mount each of the 3 feet on a stiff sheet of
plexiglass which sits on a 3-inch thick piece of industrial styrofoam packing
material (3 separate rectangles of the styrofoam, one for each footer). The
plexiglass is a practical necessity; this particular turntable is so heavy (~90 lbs)
that each footer was slowly deforming the "styrofoam", after long
term settling in. This rendered the turntable out of level. The plexiglass just
distributes the mass of the tt over a wider area of the styrofoam and keeps the
level adjustment stable. The whole thing sits on a composite granite Adona
shelf in an Adona rack. (So I guess this system is disqualified from "cheap".
However, the styrofoam packing material was free.)
Yup squash balls under my VPI too. However I did it a little differently. Put the TT on a maple butcher block cutting board, then put about 9 squash balls between that board and the table top, making a cheap man's Ginko Cloud. You can rearrange the balls to put more under the heavier table spots, like the motor, to balance it out. Over time these compress much more than initially, so you should check your level from time to time and adjust.

This setup passes the knuckle wrap test (stylus in a groove, record not spinning, rap on the supporting table top/leg - no sound through the speaker).

Enjoy,
Bob