Separates w/internal phono vs Integrated + phono

Given the same amount of money say $8-10k what is the better way to go? Separates with an internal phono or an integrated with a stand alone phono? Anyone done reasonable comparisons, is it just trade offs or is there a clear winner? A really good phono can make a huge difference but can it fully shine through an integrated?
128x128musichead
I go with separates. A phono box, preamp and separate amp.
I do have one preamp with a built in phono. An Audio research SP-15 solid state with a three tube phono section. It is nice.
My main preamp is a $5K Bryston, and a $5K amp another Bryston.
Then the Bryston phono box which would also be $5K (except it can use the Bryston preamp power so with that the stand alone phono box only (currently) costs $3K or so.

I would say one really does not want the phono stage in the same chassis as the amplification.
Other than that plenty of options.
The other issue is since the mid 80's very few good phono stages in any preamp. BEFORE 1980 plenty of good phono stages in preamps. And since the mid 1980s plenty of great stand alone phono boxes have been made.
So for ease of finding a good used stand alone phono box yes.
Plenty of integrateds have been made in the recent past too.
You also have the advantages of separate power supplies for separate components, generally thought to be a good thing.

Though on the other hand, with an integrated you don't have to worry about component synergy to the same degree.
Elizabeth makes an excellent point. Around the time that CD's were annoited the "perfect" replacement for vinyl lots of manufactureres started treating phono preamp sections as an after thought.
Into the details:

I own a Modwright LS100 w/phono / KWA100SE combo. The phono stage is not an after thought and has been very well designed and received. Fantastic system but does it maximize my front end which is DV XV-1s/Rave One/TW 10.5? probably not.

I have never heard any of the high end phono stages which leaves me curious if my front end is being limited by the internal phono or how much more does a separate phono bring to the picture. With limited funds at this point in my life I see the option of moving to an separate phono + integrated? Gain in the phono but lose the separate advantage in theory, but maybe not is there a gain + gain situation?
How about this for a plan: Purchase a high quality separate phono stage, and connect it to a line-level input of your existing preamp. Compare it to the results you have been getting with the preamp's built-in phono stage. If there is not a significant improvement, sell the new phono stage. If there is a significant improvement, you can then decide whether to stay with the existing preamp and power amp, or replace them with an integrated amp.

Also, FWIW, based on everything I've read if I were shopping for a separate phono stage in the price range you seem to be describing, number 1 on my list of candidates would be the Herron VTPH-2.

Regards,
-- Al