Separates w/internal phono vs Integrated + phono

Given the same amount of money say $8-10k what is the better way to go? Separates with an internal phono or an integrated with a stand alone phono? Anyone done reasonable comparisons, is it just trade offs or is there a clear winner? A really good phono can make a huge difference but can it fully shine through an integrated?
128x128musichead
How about this for a plan: Purchase a high quality separate phono stage, and connect it to a line-level input of your existing preamp. Compare it to the results you have been getting with the preamp's built-in phono stage. If there is not a significant improvement, sell the new phono stage. If there is a significant improvement, you can then decide whether to stay with the existing preamp and power amp, or replace them with an integrated amp.

Also, FWIW, based on everything I've read if I were shopping for a separate phono stage in the price range you seem to be describing, number 1 on my list of candidates would be the Herron VTPH-2.

Regards,
-- Al
Only problem with that plan is I won't know how it sounds through an integrated until that comes into the picture. Finding a better phono stage isn't my objective its in context of downgrading from separates.
Bottom line Musichead is only you can make this decision. I've learned the hard way not to ask others to spend your money for you. As I said in my first post, "you will find no clear winner in this debate". Flip a coin and live with it.

07-12-13: Almarg
Also, FWIW, based on everything I've read if I were shopping for a separate phono stage in the price range you seem to be describing, number 1 on my list of candidates would be the Herron VTPH-2.

Regards,
-- Al

Great reco Al!!

Cheers,
John
How does anyone know what power amp or integrated amp will work when you haven't told us what loudspeakers you're using. You asked a very general question when you really should have asked two specific ones. First, is there a preamp or separate phono preamp that can maximize the performance of the Dynavector? Second, please recommend an integrated that will do same for my XXX loudspeakers, or do I need a power amp?

Right now listed on Audiogon is an Octave Phono Module and a Hegel H200. Combined listing price around $7,500. If you don't like the Hegel integrated there are ARC, Coda, Pass, AVM, etc. in the approximate price range. Alternatively there is a Spread Technologies Ambrosia preamp w/ phono listed for $4,000. There are any number of better than decent power amps you could match that up to and stay below your budget. Assuming the changes in performance are actually worth $8k, which path makes the most sense for you?
I just did this. Went from using a Classe cp-60 with internal phonoboard and ca-200 amp and went to a tube integrated with an external tube phono preamp. The internal phono card in the classe preamp was expensive and just so so compared to external phono preamps for around the same price. A separate phono pre allows you to upgrade this piece instead of replacing the preamp.