Separates w/internal phono vs Integrated + phono

Given the same amount of money say $8-10k what is the better way to go? Separates with an internal phono or an integrated with a stand alone phono? Anyone done reasonable comparisons, is it just trade offs or is there a clear winner? A really good phono can make a huge difference but can it fully shine through an integrated?
128x128musichead
Dear Musichead: To maximize any cartridge there are some desired characterisitcs like: very low noise phonolinepreamp, accurate inverse RIAA eq, very low output impedance and very low distoritons.

You are using tube technology in that phonolinepreamp that can't fulfill those desired characteristics because it's not accurate ( you can ask to the manufacturer the RIAA eq. deviation, noise level and phono distortion level. ), it has high output impedance and not the low noise required for a LOMC cartridge.

So IMHO that unit can't maximize the XV-1s needs. A change of unit is in order: independent if is a external or integrated phonolinestage unit. You need to change of technology at that precise stage.

regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Sorry but I don't understand the frustration some people are expressing. I fully understand it's a decision that only I can make and there will be trade offs that are subjective. If I auditioned separates with an internal phono I would definitely ask the sales person to bring in an integrated and phono to compare. Seems like a logical comparison and I understand some of integrates are very good now but can some of them perform as good as the separates? Just looking for people have gone down this path to share their experiences.
Only problem with that plan is I won't know how it sounds through an integrated until that comes into the picture. Finding a better phono stage isn't my objective its in context of downgrading from separates.
07-13-13: Musichead
Seems like a logical comparison and I understand some of integrates are very good now but can some of them perform as good as the separates?

Absolutely!! There are many integrated amps out there that will outperform separates in the same price range, in fact I have heard integrated amps hold their own with separates costing 2-3 times as much money. I owned a $6500 integrated amp that came surprisingly close to $27,000 in separates. The separates will provide more flexibility though, but at a cost.