How's your music library?

When looking through the systems on A-gon, people's music libraries are frequently missing, not shown, or possibly not in the same room. After all the $$$ spent on one's system, I'd like to know what's behind all of this. After all, it is the entire raison d'ĂȘtre for audiomania.

I had a collection of about 200+ LPs that I've recently sold or given away; finally able to emotional divorce myself from the vinyl I started acquiring as a teenager. I began building my CD collection about 15-16 years ago. It's now 636 titles and nearly 700 discs. It spans the globe and periods from the Renaissance though 20th century, BeBop to Acid Jazz, Afro Celt to Zap Mama, and a fair dose of Rock & Pop. Recently, the fastest growing genre has been 20th century music which has surpassed earlier "classical" music but still trailing the Jazz and World sections. A modest collection certainly, and compared to a friend who has a library (unfortunately uncatalogued) of well over 2000 titles, quite modest. He's gotta music library! I suspect there are quite a few other impressive libraries out there. Please tell us.

How's in your music library?
ojgalli
Like some of you, ever since I went the PC/Server route, it has been pure bliss organizing my CD collection using MediaMonkey. Unfortunately my digitised collection (1000+) is only properly cataloqued.....:-(
BTW, slightly off topic but another thing which I find useful with the SB3/Server is if I set it to randomly select from the collection I begin to rediscover music that has been neglected over the years :-)
10,000 + LPs and about 1,200 CDs 650 DVDs
LPs and Cds divided into three separate groups: by Classical&Opera, then Jazz&newage&blues, then Rock&pop.
Classical by composer A-Z, then each composer by solo, to small group to large, vocals last. If I have a bunch of Beethoven 5th, (for example) conductor name a-z order for the group, etc.
Jazz by primary artist alpha then within artist BY DATE RECORDED. Date give a better way of finding my way. I put the date on the edge of the LP, and CD.
Rock and pop same as Jazz, except if always a group, by that name, then also chronologically.
Very few artists cross these basic three groups.
For example:
Kiri Te Kinawa: opera and pop... (Lucky for me I do not own her pop music.)
Frank Sinatra could be with Jazz, but I definitely stick him in pop.
Bela Fleck, Jazz and bluegrass..Hmm I keep "Drive" with rock, the rest with Jazz.
I hate Classical collections.. and unless one item is outstanding to file it with that, I usually do not keep silly collections that are on one LP. Some Mercury 90000 label items or RCA 'shaded dog" stuff like this is all I will keep around. (Leroy Anderson, Boston Pops..)
Though I DO have a large bunch of Jazz various artist collections.. which are superb.
The Jazz LPs 2,500 are in the kitchen, the rock and pop 3,000 in the bedroom, and the classical LPs 6,000 in the living room... to distribute the 6,000 lbs of Lps carefully around the apt walls!
I have close to 18,000 black diamonds and they are in alphabitized order. The collection runs the gamit from Pop to Classical from jazz to RocknRoll. Lately I have thought of selling some of them off because after the last 3 years my music interests have changed dramaticly. There are records in there that I know I would never listen to again because as I've gotten older and have come to appreciate a different kind of music like blues or mellower sounds. I have around 750 cd's catorgized the same way.
Howdeee!
My collection consists of approximately 1000 Lps and 200 CDs. I prefer vinyl for its sonic properties, a few pops and clicks never bother me. Another reason I prefer vinyl is because I like changing the music often whether the mood is to stick with the same genre, or change it. CDs go on for over an hour and can cause me to loose interest in the music. I will often record some tracks from an LP mixed with other LPs and enjoy that CD in my car or just relax in my listening room without having to change an Lp.
All music is listed alphabetically by first name. This is the best way for finding things quickly and easily. In the past 20 years, I tried by last name, band name, genre. It's simpler to go by first name regardless of genre. "Collections" are tricky, but I have one small shelf for collections.
Also, this year I splurged, drove for 3 hours and purchased 2 shelves from Ikea- the "Expedit" shelves. Lps fit perfectly and they really looks sharp. I considered building custom shelves, but these are much better in that they can be moved. With this crazy hobby, built-in shelves might be a mistake.
Email me if you wish to see the shelves.
Enjoy!!!