Konfounding Kinks

Sometimes we revisit old favorites with new appreciation. the kinks had a run of albums..'face to face', 'something else', 'the village green preservation society', and 'arthur' which rank with the best of any rock band at the time, and lately i have started to spin them alot. any kinks fans ever kontimplate just how incrdible they were?
jaybo
Great great group. Ray Davies is one of the most creative people in rock and has somehow managed to keep his feet on the ground.

I saw them on the Soap Opera tour and whether you like the album or not it was a great show. Ray's still going strong on his own. Storyteller and both of his recent solo works are must haves for fans.

I saw Ray a couple of years ago but his efforts were defeated by the guy on the soundboard. I think there's a rule that you have to be deaf to operate one. Or maybe my ears just can't take 130 dbs like they used to.
I notice that the Kinks back catalog has recently been trickling out on "audiophile vinyl." I don't know how good these reissues sound in comparison to the original issues, most of which were well recorded. One of the best LPs sonically is an import of UK Jive on the London label manufactured in Holland. A copy came to me from a Radio Free Europe record station-- which seems a felicitous association. Nice to know Mr. Davies got beyond the Wall & not bad for $1.99 in the record bins.

BTW, most of early hits were collected on double LPs Pye DP02 "The Kinks" and "The Kink Kronikles" on Reprise. I believe Kronikles is on CD but I don't know about the Pye collection.
Kronikles is on CD.

Its a very good collection of vintage Kinks material and the sound quality is quite good also.
Love this band, especially "Muswell" and "Village". Along with the Faces, one of the best and under-rated English bands from that decade and a cornerstone of any pub listening experience. You can also see the direct lineage to modern bands like the Blur.

The original albums of the above titles rock compared to the TERRIBLE reissues that are being pawned off on the audiophile community.
I think they may have lost the masters. All the CDs sound like second generation tapes.
More to discover