APO Doors Reissues

Anyone heard the new APO Doors reissues on 45 rpm Lp? It sounds like the mix is the same, instruments hard right and left, Morrison in the center for the most part. Is that the case?

While I understand the outrage from some quarters that would follow any change to the original mix, it seems to me that the original mix was a less than ideal decision and I don't see why it can't be improved on.
128x128tomcy6
Hi Corby, interesting way of looking at it but I suspect your system leans on the bright side. My findings are it varies from title to title but in general what I hear is the new 45rpms have 100% of what is on the original 1st pressing + improved clarity and a tighter more dynamic performance. The originals, especially Strange Days sounds rolled off and soft. Have you compared Strange Days original Mono to the stereo pressing? The Mono pressing sounds much better than the stereo in my system and closer to the sound signature of the new 45rpm. Based on this I would conclude the original stereo pressing probably had mixing or pressing issues. The new 45rpm seems to suggest this when you bring the Mono pressing into the mix.
musichead
thanks for your summary. i have only compared the s/t to it's original us 1st pressing. i bought strange days at the same time but didn't have the 1st pressing to compare it to.
those are the first APO releases that i was disappointed with. i do have many. i won't be buying any more of the doors releases. my front end picks them apart too much. as i mentioned earlier, i played them on my non-reference table, micro seiki 1500 with a morch UP4 and denon DL103 stock, and they sounded better, as this combo did not dig deep into the grooves to extract everything. but i'm not going to spend the money on the lp's to play them on the 103.
i'll pursue more originals and the mono that you mentioned above,
Yup. I prefer the original die-cut/cellophane window copy I have. The 45RPM is a bit sterile and clinical sounding, lacking in emotion and life. I also find the bass to be somewhat bloated. The original has better spectral balance top to bottom and really lets the music flow easily. YMMV and all that.

BTW, Morrison Hotel is the one to get.
Thanks! I was going to ask about Morrison Hotel also.
I have the 45 of Strange Days, it sounds real good but
to me not great.