Why does most new music suck?

Ok I will have some exclusions to my statement. I'm not talking about classical or jazz. My comment is mostly pointed to rock and pop releases. Don't even get me started on rap.... I don't consider it music. I will admit that I'm an old foggy but come on, where are some talented new groups? I grew up with the Beatles, Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc. I sample a lot of new music and the recordings are terrible. The engineers should be fired for producing over compressed shrill garbage. The talent seems to be lost or doesn't exist. I have turned to some folk/country or blues music. It really is a sad state of affairs....Oh my god, I'm turning into my parents.
goose
Thank you Simao. It's spoken word performance and every bit as bad as when the beatniks did it. Hip-Hop is no different as far as I can tell.

Didn't like it then, don't like it now.
People keep mistaking it for music, and talent.

All the best,
Nonoise
Mlsstl, I truly don't understand the relevance of your historical examples in this discussion. About this, and your use of the dictionary as a reference, we will have to agree to disagree. But, I find this comment particularly interesting:

****There are plenty of well regarded critics who will explain to those who wish to listen just how progressive and important rap music is****

Since when do music critics determine which music will be "important" in music history? There are many examples in history of works, now considered masterpieces, that were panned by "well regarded critics" when premiered. I do agree with the critics that rap is progressive and important; but, that still doesn't make it good music. Its importance is not defined by it's inherent quality (or lack thereof) as an art form.
****Do you think that the great melodies of the past would not exist had those who wrote them not done so? They simply beat everyone else to the punch. There are no punches left to punch.****

I find that to be a strange statement. The great melodies are a reflection of a given composer's musical personality. Many of the great melodies are clearly identifiable as being by Mozart, Bernstein, Bacharach, etc. Are you suggesting that had Bernstein never lived someone else would have come up with "Maria"?