Why does most new music suck?

Ok I will have some exclusions to my statement. I'm not talking about classical or jazz. My comment is mostly pointed to rock and pop releases. Don't even get me started on rap.... I don't consider it music. I will admit that I'm an old foggy but come on, where are some talented new groups? I grew up with the Beatles, Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc. I sample a lot of new music and the recordings are terrible. The engineers should be fired for producing over compressed shrill garbage. The talent seems to be lost or doesn't exist. I have turned to some folk/country or blues music. It really is a sad state of affairs....Oh my god, I'm turning into my parents.
goose
Ohnwy61, thank you for the link.

I am trying, really trying; trying to find meat in a lot of this music. It's just not there. I listened to #1-10, and, frankly, almost couldn't stand it. That list is important to this discussion because it goes to the core of the OP's question re popular new music. The "best" 150 tracks of the last 15 years; according to NME.com. I confess that I have no idea what/who NME.com is; but after listening to #'s 1-10, I frankly don't care to know.

Conceptual value is subjective to a much greater extent than sheer musical skill. There are certain things about musical skill that are simply not up for debate. The fact that drummer A can play a groove so hard that it can make one forget about how good the beer tastes, only makes drummer B sound that much more like a garage band drummer; even if he is part of a conceptually "artsy" band. So, we can disagree about what is good conceptually, but in my book there is not much room for disagreement about musical skill. One can disagree about wether Hendrix was a better (or preferred) guitarist than Clapton, but not about the fact that they both deserve to be in "the best" category.

I like the Amy Winehouse cut, and I admit that it is the only tune that I had heard previously. She had a soulful, if very one-dimensional, voice. I find that pop singers like her garner a lot of attention, at least in part, because it is such a relief, in the overall scheme of pop music, to hear a singer with some real grease.

I liked The Libertines cut. Pretty interesting voice and concept, but unmemorable instrumental playing.

The Strokes held my attention with their concept and a pretty good singer, but the playing is embarrassing. Listen to that drummer; nothing going on.

This one just blew me away. That bullshit such as the cut by "Hot Chip" should garner the # 7 slot in a "best 150" list leaves me at a loss for words.

It has been said many times; that music is a reflection of the times. I believe it is really true. I find a lot of this music to have a common thread that mirrors what I think is a sociological force that is much more prevalent today than in the past. To me, when I listen (and watching videos makes that much more obvious) to a lot of this music there is a sense of narcissism evident. "I am good because I say I am good". I don't think so! Please notice that I said "a lot", not all. The music appeals to a younger generation (duh!), and likewise reflects something prevalent in today's younger generation. I am the father of two boys; I know.

Maybe there are some gems in the other 140, but I need some time time to recover for the first 10.

Thanks again; sincerely.
I was anxious to see what all the other posters considered to be good music. I wanted to see if there was any common ground to engage in a discussion of muisic.

I don't see any common ground. The list submitted by Ohnwy61 just confirms it even more. This is not a criticism just the truth. I am sure most of you would find my taste equally incomprehensible.

Other than Amy Winehouse, I have to confess, I have never even heard of these people, let alone, heard them. And to think that this is the best of the best? Wow! I will conclude that I am out of touch.

But, since we have LPs and CDs, we can all listen to the stuff we like. Past or present.

Now that Tiger has finished hitting the ball all over Pennsylvania, I think I will try to chill with a little grape and Bach.

He is old school, like me. :) Bach, you know, that old German dude. No, No, he didn't play with the Stones.

Cheers