Why does most new music suck?

Ok I will have some exclusions to my statement. I'm not talking about classical or jazz. My comment is mostly pointed to rock and pop releases. Don't even get me started on rap.... I don't consider it music. I will admit that I'm an old foggy but come on, where are some talented new groups? I grew up with the Beatles, Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc. I sample a lot of new music and the recordings are terrible. The engineers should be fired for producing over compressed shrill garbage. The talent seems to be lost or doesn't exist. I have turned to some folk/country or blues music. It really is a sad state of affairs....Oh my god, I'm turning into my parents.
goose
Toddnkaya, been checking out The Raconteurs. I was aware of Jack White from a few White Stripes performances that I had heard by chance. My thought was always: "that kid deserves a much better drummer". But then, it wouldn't be The White Stripes; would it? Kinda the way some are quick to point out how Ringo was not a great drummer, when in fact he was THE PERFECT drummer for THAT band.

Anyway, Jack White is one talented dude! He's got "the thing"; a true artist. Really good band "The Raconteurs". Man, they can ROCK! Interesting writing and really good playing. Thanks for another recommendation that works for me.
I find that these days I tend to like a lot of specific songs or pieces of music that I hear, but do not levitate much to many new artists in particular. I think that being older and more interested in the music than the much younger people making it is the reason. Nothing against them, just that there is an age and life experience difference between myself now and most rock/pop artists. I still find its mostly the same old geezers that I tend to like still as artists in that I can relate to them more I suppose.
FYI Raconteurs fans.

I'm a huge Jack White fan, but Brendan Benson is a (some might argue the) major contributor to the sound of that band. All of BB's solo stuff is worth checking out.

Regarding the NME 150 list,

That thing looks like it was assembled by committee. You start with a sprinkling of Mumford, add a little Rihanna and Gnarles Barkley on the one hand, a bit of Coldplay on the other, and Radiohead all the way around, just to be safe from criticism. I always try to be open minded regarding music and actually enjoy music from each of those genres, but this list reeks of political, rather than artistic, considerations.

It's not a terrible job, but no one should view that list as indicative of today's SOTA.

Marty
One more thought re: a preference for simple melodies. If you're a fan of Zep, then you probably like involved melodies more than you might think. While the vocal melodies and the riffs in their music are generally pretty simple, the melodies that Jimmy Page supplies via guitar are anything but...

Just sayin'

Marty
Ok Frog, glad you are digging the Raconteurs! I like Jack White as well, but to me these two albums are near flawless.
Ok , so that makes me two for two with the Frog. ;-)
I am still working on my list for essential albums / bands in the Pop Rock and singer songwriters. There will be some Alt. Country as well. My list is over 80 albums strong!
Frog, ( and anyone else who dares) the next band I would love you to test drive is Alt. J . They won best new band in England this year. When I first heard this band I was like, what the hell is this??!! In a great way though . The connection was immediate .
The album is called, An Awesome Wave. And what a ride it is!!
Be prepared to hear a voice and sound unlike any other band.
Start with these selections : Tessallate, Breezeblocks, please crank up the volume for Fitzpleasure ! , Something Good, Matilda
An open mind is needed for this band as the lead singers voice may sound like Kermit the Frog . But the music , his voice , works together to create a musical experience that must be heard to be believed.
Enjoy!!