Perhaps we should stick with midfi...

I just bought a $60,000 system with big names like krell, Audio Research, Mcintosh, B&W 802 D speakers, Sony SACD, Transparent wires, etc, and I get more enjoyment from my sub $1000 I put together used with ADS speaker, NAD monitor pre amp, Onkyo Integra M-504 power amp, Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player (as CD and DVD).

I am thinking I should have stopped with my midfi system now...

Anyone else have similar sentiments, or is my ear not golden enough to hear the difference yet?
gonglee3
I'm sure if everyone of us went out and spent 60k on a system, NONE of us would have the same exact components. OP bought someone elses "ears". In that case, odds are not good for happiness no matter what the price. Odds are better that most of us could spend half that and end up with a better system because it would be based on our "ears". Hard lesson learned.
Sincere thanks to all those posted - especially to lengthy posters who took the effort and time to share words of experience and wisdom...

They will help me and others get to the land of sonic-nirvanah.

I uploaded 2 pictures here :

http://s915.photobucket.com/home/Joong-In_Rhee

One is the new hifi system that's been lonely, and the other one is the beloved $1000 midfi system.

From chatting on other audio forums, I found out that my midfi system is pretty good. ADS speakers are well liked by many audiophiles, Onkyo Integra M-504 power amp is recommended by some experts as a good midfi piece, the Toshiba SD-9200 is top of the line DVD player with upsampling to 24/192 specs.

I just got lucky and ended up assembling a pretty decent souding system for not much money, and when I bought the hifi system expecting it to be many times better, I was sadly disappointed...

I am coming to like the new system a little more though - classical music (especially piano and strings) sound good on it. The reason I still prefer my midfi system is that female vocal music sounds better on the midfi system (and over 90% of my listening is that).

Perhaps B&W had classical music in mind when they designed the speaker... I am not sure.

I am a musician and I played on Steinway pianos and Stradivarius instruments before, and perhaps when I spent that much mulah, I was expecting something similar to the real instrument sound...

It ain't that for sure !

I am gonna try to find more music that sounds good on it, since I found out classical piano and strings sound good on them.

So to all the audiophiles who's searching for the realistic sounds, please look somewhere else than my system.

Maestro Jung Myung Whon (famous Korean conductor) prefers the sound of his hifi system to actual orchestral sound he conducts, so I know that a good hifi system can sound relistic - his system consists of McIntosh CD, pre, power, and 15 incher co-axial Tannoy speakers.

Perhaps it's the sony XA777ES (SACD player) and the B&W 802 D combination that's the culprit - both gears have been described as "annoying" when not matched well in a system. I am gonna try to mix and match my gears like some of you suggested...

I am glad I got into the land of SACD though - clearly sounds superior to regular CDs, and on Amazon, I can buy them for about the same price. Perhaps we should all make that jump sooner than later - all the digital lovers (rather than Vinyl).

I am sorry this got to be so long, but it was fun and educational for me.

Happy listening to all...

Horseface, I think I am gonna join you and hunt down classics on used market - sounds like sheer fun...
It's affordable, and just fun to try new things in this hobby - thanks for the tip.

It's interesting how this thread dried up and all the naysayer's headed for the hills once the supposed "troll" produced a photograph of the $60k system. These forum groups are so funny!

Back on topic, Gonglee3 brings up a point that I've been exploring the past 5 months. MidFi gear is pretty good sounding stuff. Bought my first Chinese tube amp (Prologue 5), my first Chinese integrated (Grant Fidelity 534b) since owning a French Kora integrated for a secondary system over a decade ago. Each of these components sounds as good as gear 3 times their price point. And what's even better they're priced used at prices any1 can afford.
Gong,

I would not worry about things like midfi, hi end labels on gear.

Its good to have reasons for buying things other than just to buy stuff that is "better". You always have to start with getting the right speakers for your taste that can work the room well. Then you go for an amp that is capable of driving the speakers to the max. Then you tweak the source and wires, etc. If you do a good job with the amp and speakers and room synergy, the rest comes down largely to personal preference using most any decent gear.