Installing dedicated lines. Which cable to use?

Hi guys

I'm having some dedicated lines put in. I've already purchased some Porter Ports (what a great guy that Albert P.!), and have a couple of questions concerning which cable to use. I want to use 10-2 solid core, but am confused about a couple of things:

-the runs from the breaker box will be relatively short (15-20 feet). Should I use shielded Romex or unshielded? I do have some problems with noise (hum, buzz)in my setup when using unshielded interconnects (Nordost). I am told that unshielded sounds better but is noisier. Experiences?

-I am having trouble locating brand name Romex. The local HD and Lowe's don't carry it, but do have a Romex-like 10-2 copper wire. Is real Romex worth the search? Lots of references in the archives to Romex from HD. What gives? Is the name Romex used generically to mean any similar cable? What is a good source for real Romex?

Thanks in advance and any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
frogman
Thank you all for the suggestions; much appreciated. Please keep them coming, and I will keep you posted as to my choices and results.

Best
Making your own wire from two CL3 rated runs of 10AWG should meet code. As long as you have the ability to properly terminate and attach both ends it should be no problem.
Now the fact that you are making your own Romex is another discussion entirely. That may not meet teh standards for good mental health.

:)
Porziob is completely wrong. Making your own wires as Sean suggested is economical and completely up to code. Lots of electricians do it every day. My office was wired that way, FWIW.

The only thing I would change from Seans recommendation is to run the ground seperately. Not just outside the jacketed romex, but one feet away from the others is possible. I did that at home and the results were worth the effort.

Bignerd is right with his last comment, but look where you are right now...
As Bignerd stated and Nrchy affirmed, so long as one uses the appropriate wiring, the geometric configuration of the wiring isn't critical so long as it is properly terminated. If in doubt, check with the local inspector and / or discuss it with a licensed electrician.

As to Nrchy's comments about separating the ground wires as much as possible, i agree. This is especially true if the grounding system has been optimised. Having said that, just getting the ground wire outside of the hot / neutral bundle is of benefit, hence my recommendation to do so.

How far one wants to take all of this is up to the capacity of their wallet. Obviously, better performance can be had over what i recommended. In terms of bang for the buck, convenience and effort required, the approach that i mentioned will be hard to beat. You could do FAR worse for a helluva lot more time, money and effort using much more expensive "audiophile approved" gear and methods. Sean
>
So, is it recommended to use solid 10 ga. wire, or will stranded suffice? What would the difference be?