Surge Suppressor or Not?

I have an entry-level system (Cambridge 640 cd player, Parasound amp and pre-amp) which I can't really afford to replace if dead so am thinking about surge protection. Monster Power HTS2000 is about $200; Brick Wall PW8R15AUD is about $250. Are these good choices that wouldn't degrade sound unduly? Is there a better option?

I've been told that because amps have large transformers they don't need surge protection. Is that true?
kencalgary
I use a brick wall, I took it out last night to see if I could tell the difference without it. If there was a difference it was small. I do not run my power amp through it because it draws a large amount of current, I have never heard that having a large transformer was a protection against dangerous current surges. It may smooth out small variations in current.
That's a great start for entry level.
You need better than a $12 Home Depot strip.
Something in the lines of PS Audio Ultimate Outlet will work great. Personally, I don't care for Monster. Anything at this point to protect and condition should be a necessity.
Tiger Direct had (has?) a great deal on an APC H-10 power conditioner/surge protector. It seemed to make CD playback cleaner (like a slight veil was removed). Everything except the amp is plugged into that. I didn't like things (lost sound stage? depth?) as much with my amp plugged in so I just have that plugged into the wall. One of these days I'll spring for some PorterPorts for it.