What makes strings sound "sweet"?

I have always wondered about this. If you listen to many recordings of bowed string instruments, then you know that the upper registers can sometimes have a sweet tone. I define this by what it is not - edgy, brittle, dry and rough sounding. It is smooth and inviting. I used to assume this was due to rolled off highs or an emphasized midrange, but I am not so sure. It varies by recording, or course, but I have often wondered what, in the recording or reproduction process, causes strings to either sound brittle or sweet. Is it the acoustic of the original recording venue? A frequency balance issue? I would love to hear from those who might know. Thanks!
bondmanp
Josh,

That's an interesting observation I have not heard before. but it makes sense and seems consistent with what I have heard live over the years!
I learned that from Toole's book, if you have access to it there's an interesting illustration of the weird directional characteristics of violins in Fig. 3.3.

Here's the paper Toole references, but they want $25 for it:

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JASMAN00005100006B001994000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes&ref=no

Also an AES paper called "Tonal Effects of Classical Music Microphone Placement":

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=11768
I have a substantial collection of classical music. The strings sound fantastic on over 90% of the recordings. Folks, it's not the recording's fault.

The ability to portray both massed strings, and solo violin, is a major litmus test for system evaluation. Again, many components contribute, BUT, the cables are absolutely critical. I have come to appreciate this over the past several months. Specifically, having the right mix of materials. I must remark that Jade Audio cables really hit the nail on the head in terms of providing both that bite and sheen, along with the beauty, depth, and texture of strings. The real deal.
Rtn1,

I agree with what you are saying. Getting a handle on massed strings has been one of the biggest challenges for my system I have found.

But I don't think that invalidates that different mikings produce different sounds in recordings.

I will likely agree that they should not sound overly steely with any decent recording, but at the same time I am not sure that they are always equally smooth yet detailed or "sweet".

Massed strings is definitely one aspect of sound that getting right definitely helps separate the contenders from the pretenders
I'm not invalidating the importance of the role of the recording engineer. I'm just saying that they almost always do a good job, at least in my experience across a wide variety of classical music. It still remains a stereo system issue. Besides, the point is moot. What can you do? Re-record all your favorite pieces. Try the cables. They aren't smooth or sweet, just real. Even Gidon Kremer sound good.