Audiogon members poor packing and shipping damage

Need to get this off my chest and hope it will help other members avoid shipping damage claims. I recently purchased a preamp and a pair of Magnepan 3.7 speakers off Audiogon. I am going to keep this general and leave out the member names. Both items arrived damaged and IMHO the root cause is largely very poor and careless packing.

The 3.7's had the ends of the box secured with one narrow piece of strapping tape on each end which came off during shipping and the ends of the box flapping wide open along with the outer box loose where it should have been taped. With the preamp the seller did not bother to remove the tubes or install the protective screws on the bottom that protect the internals from shipping damage.

In both instances I have taken on trying to get the problems resolved, so far at my expense, and I am just aggravated at having to do this.

I would never think of letting any piece of audio equipment leave my house so poorly packed. I routinely take hours to carefully pack and also to document the entire process with digital pics so if there are any issues with shipping I have good documentation. If you read my feedback it reflects the extra effort I take. No one will ever be able to say there was shipping damage due to my poor packing job and no box I pack is going to arrive open.

I don't know how other Audiogon members feel about this or how many other members have experienced this problem but I just want to point out that sellers have an obligation to the buyers to pack the items correctly. As we all know shipping damage claims are a super pain for all involved and especially the buyer. Right now I've got one claim going with a major shipping company and it will be weeks if I am lucky to get a resolution and my money back and also get the 3.7's back from the factory.

Just a ton of inconvenience and aggravation when I should have been able to unpack, set up, and enjoy.
etmerritt33
A couple of questions, first, was everything packed in original shipping cartons? Second, if there was shipping damage, why did you accept the items? The reason for the first question is that I place high value on original manufacturer packaging, yes it adds to the buying cost, but it's worth it. If you tried to save some dough by buying something cheaper that doesn't have all of it's original packaging....well, you learned the hard way.

I asked the second question because I do not accept damaged items. I have had items damaged in shipping from me in original boxes too, and I've taken returns. So I'm wondering what type of a person would just accept damaged goods. Yes, packaging takes time and effort, but even the best packaging can be damaged in shipping. If it's well packed in original shipping container and damage occurs, the seller should be able to collect on the insurance. DO NOT ship it back without contacting the seller, or the insurance he purchased would become invalid. I've been on both ends, believe me, shipping damage claims are a MUCH bigger pain for the seller.
06-21-12: Abucktwoeighty
What do you say to someone who sends an email asking about damage to the corner of an item nearly 4 weeks after it was delivered?

I had something similar happen to me. A fellow I sold a phono preamp to contacted me 6 weeks later and said it wasn't working right. I tried to contact Fed Ex and have them look into shipping damage, but the guy never replied to my e-mails. I just gave up. I'm not a dealer, I don't have an obligation after a couple of days after receipt as far as I see it. But I'm willing to try and help someone out if I can. The buy needs to have some responsibility here. I think they need to thouroughly inspect the item within 48 hours of delivery. If the buyer can't be bothered, why should I?
Bummer-
I usually look for items with original packaging and members with excellent feedback to help elimintae this issue. I have not had any issues, thankfully. However, I do receive the occational used lp packaged horribly-tape stuck to cover, flimsy packaging. But most stuff is from guys that take care. I agree with comments that if damage isnt brought to the attention of the seller ASAP it is suspect. After 4 weeks, I dont think I would do much to help...
Agree this particular can of worms just is always a problem.
Both poor packaging and late complaints.
When i ship i make certain the item can be used as a football in a really ROUGH game, or dropped 20 feet. Because both have happened to stuff i got.

The 'used as football' came from China, and the foam saved the item 100%, I was amazed.

And yeah the idiots who stick a heavy item in a box of loose peanuts wins the idiot award every time.
And shipping is the senders problem. Any damage ultimately goes to the sender as the fall guy, if insurance fails to cover it.

I buy scrap foam, solid, and have several inches around all sides if i do not have the original packaging.

As for late complaints? over a week after item received.. forget it. No longer my problem.
Equipment should be packaged to ensure safe shipping. Not all who sell are professionals though so, mistakes can happen more often than otherwise. Its a risk. Best for the buyer to confirm details of how gear will be shipped with the seller beforehand just to be sure.