Repair a Sony SCD 777ES?

My 12 year old Sony SCD-777ES stopped working today. After the disc is inserted and the cover closes it makes some unhappy grinding and clanking noises as it attempts to spin the disk. It also switches automatically to SACD mode even with a redbook cd, but never starts to actually play the disc.

Can these old Sony's be repaired? It is a decent player and an excellent transport for my dac, I hate to just junk it! Any recommendations on the best way to get it repaired?
stickman451
The verdict is in. I actually hate Sony and will never buy a product from them again for reasons already stated +. Like Bell, their customer service is "0". Besides, lots of companies with good reputations make products equally as good or better. Pick yourself up a used Oppo 83SE. It'll spank Sony's flagship model for about $400.00.
I did exactly what Dgarretson suggests when my scd-1 was giving me disc read issues and mine has worked great ever since....Still runs fine and this was a few years ago. Not sure yours is a sled drive issue or a bad motor/spindle problem.

Chuck
Dgarretson- do you know where I can find a similarly detailed maintenance procedure for the transport in a Denon 3910?
Swampwalker, sorry, I wrote that Sony mntc. procedure from personal experience and with input from Richard Kern, an early Sony modifier. I have no experience with Denon.