Good CD player vs. Transport and DAC

Where am I going to get the best Digital playback? Going with a high end CD player or a transport and DAC? Also, what's the difference between a transport and a cd player if you are using an external dac with either one? I am thinking of an Oppo bdp 95 to use for cd play back since it seems to have a really nice dac (SABRE32 Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology). I am currently using a denon dvd 2900 and a musical fidelity v-dacII with pangea p100 power supply. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
128x128b_limo
Transports wear out. DACs do not.
So I would buy a 'decent CD player. Then.. after time and whatever, a better DAC.
Once you have that 'for life' DAC. CD players/changers, whatever come and go. They break, So what.
You still have your DAC.
I have four CD players on my DAC, and two spare ones...
I have no plans on upgrading the DAC anytime soon.
Though if I won the lotto...
Yeah, like I stated above, I am currently using a denon dvd 2900 connected to a musical fidelity v-dacII with an upgraded pangea p-100 power supply. I would like to get a better sounding digital set-up and am thinking about an oppo with a 32 bit sabre dac but am open to suggestions. Thanks again guys, and gals!
The MSB Universal Transport, Platinum power base, Platinum DAC IV, and Pro I2S could be the final destination for a long, long time - although the base model DAC/Power Base, this MSB setup smokes the Modwright Oppo BDP-95 and the Esoteric K-03 from what I've heard) - but o-u-c-h the price of admission.
Just to clarify, are you looking for a CD player or a multi format player? Your original post says CD player. If thats the case, I think you are better off looking at something that plays CD's only. There's no reason to buy something like an Oppo that is designed to do a whole bunch of things that you will never use it for. More importantly, CD's need all the help they can get to sound good.

As far as getting a CD player or separates, that's a personal choice. Unless you are looking at something like Wadia or DCS separates, I prefer a single box solution. Generally speaking, with high end audio, things tend to get broken down into more separate, specialized pieces. (For example, instead of a receiver, you can go with an amp, preamp, phono stage and tuner.) If you look back to when high end CD playback was first getting popular, the general trend was just the opposite. To deal with problems like jitter, keeping everything in one box fixed a lot of problems. Of course, today, manufactures have come a long way fixing those problems, but for me, I still like a single box solution.

Unlike a lot of people, I have had very good luck with reliability issues. I've had CD players that were set on repeat for years just to break equipment in and keep everything warmed up. Never had a transport break. (Honestly, though, had I been more aware of some of the reliability issues that others were having, I would have shut them off, just to be safe.)

Some brands I would recommend, new or used, are: Ayre, Arcam, Wadia and Cary. I've had many others, as well, but the ones I list are my favourites.