Got Ears?

I'm wondering how quickly you develope your listening. I'm sure my ears are more in tune to pick up the little nuances in a high fidelity system than when I started this madness 9 months ago. Thanks to alot of you on this site I learned what to listen for, but I know that I still have alot to learn when it comes to picking up on certain things. Do you guys (and Elizabeth ;-) think that having an ear for audio is something that just continues to develope and develope? I feel that it's an important part to fully enjoying this hobby as it allows you to enjoy a well thought out rig and your music collection to the fullest. I'm fully enjoying cd's that just this time last year I would have only used as coasters or made fun of you for listening to that "crap". I can't help but think half is my rig, the other half are my somewhat trained ears. If I tell my girlfriend, who by the way grew up in a musical family (dad was a music director for years at a major university) and plays violin, guitar, sings and has perfect pitch, about how an improvement to my rig deepend the soundstage, brought out shimmering highs with faster attack and longer decay she cocks her head a bit and says "huh?". Anyways, have y'all noticed your ears getting more in tune with picking up all the things that make an audiophile an audiophile and if so how and when has that happened?
128x128b_limo
Your relationship with your girlfriend is doomed, unless you immediately crease involvement in trying to be an audiophile. She has told you that better sound is 'huh', so listen. Seeking her 'approval' of your sonic betterment is forever hopeless and I am sure will lead to depression, coupled with a sad relationship. So, the choices are obvious, better sound or a better girlfriend. Sadly, many decades ago, I had the same problem. What did I do? Dumped the girlfriend. Music and listening were just too important not having a person in my life that wanted to enjoy that part of my existence.
Of course its all mental. My aural acuity has not improved -- probably deteriorated a bit with age.

I didn't want to get too immersed in my audio perceptions. I feared that I would lose track of enjoying the music thinking about the sound all the time. So I stopped trying to hear finer differences after I became able to tell the difference between interconnect cables. That was enough for most of my system decisions. (I can't hear the difference between power cords, but I did buy some designer aftermarket cords just on general principles.)

But it would be a choice to make, since there is always some enjoyment in developing any ability. And hearing more would be a good match with an equipment upgrading cycle syndrome, should you find that an appealing fetish.
I am surprised at your girlfriend's response.
If you want to make an effort in encouraging her to
participate in making fine distinctions, just ask her opinion!
Play a dirty cd, for example, and then clean/treat it, and
play it again. There are other scenarios that may lead to a
different appreciation of recorded music.

As for you... Make sure your ears are clean (beyond normal q-tips).
Go listen to live music, especially things that aren't your natural
choices. Visit audio stores, go to trade shows, read audio
magazines and past discussions on this site.

You can have a lot of fun, while maintaining the belief that your
girlfriend's participation is her choice. And you are "OK"
either way!!!
For me any improvement in my 'listening' or aquiring 'golden ears' has happened by accident.
It seems to be the accumilation of experiences, rather than some trick technique.
For example I tried a few different powercords like designs from Jon Risch and nothing. Seemed like powercords just did not make any difference (for me) and I tended to 'believe' they could not make much of a difference.
Then I bought one Panges two meter AC9 when they first came out. It was as cheap as making a simple cord! and i was suprised I really could hear a difference with it.

Other things seem to take a lot of muddlingaround to find a good result for oneself. Like power conditioners. I started with an Adcom ACE, then a meduim Monster.. etc to where now i own two great ones I am really happy with.

Stuff like aquiring some Sennheiser HD800 earphone and a Rudistor RPX33mk2 and discovering new amazing information on CDs I thought I knew well.

Mostly it is just listening to music and finding those goosebump raising recordings.. Learning about music I never knew was so great.

As for the girlfriend. I read your post as just mentioning her response. The guys here are funny campers, and seem to lack girlfriends.. So I would ignore their 'sage' advice!!
Anyway, glad you like your experience so far.
My only advice is if you want to interest your girlfriend in your music. Ignore explaining the stuff or the music. Just put on some tunes and snuggle. Long listening/ petting sessions can go a long way toward her apprciation of you and your musical tastes.
(If you do not own a five disc changer.. perhaps you should get one :) less interruptions...)