Why are all the Virtual Systems mega-assaults now?

I've noticed that more recently nearly all of the activity on the virtual systems is with really decked-out systems in lavish rooms with $50K speakers and electronics, cables, and single malt Scotch to match.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's nice to see how the upper crust live. But I've always viewed a strength of the virtual systems as showing how people have put together budget items with great synergy. What ever happened to the guys with the Adcom amp and PSB speakers posting about the continuing evolution of their systems? (Maybe they've updated to a spiffy room, speakers that require a forklift to position, MBL electronics, and cables that each cost more than my car.)

I guess Albert Porter's system gets a lot more traffic because people like discussing systems like that, but I really do miss seeing new "bang for the buck" units pop up on the virtual systems and admiring their ingenuity for putting it together.

Am I the only one who's a little disappointed with this?

Michael
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
Hi,

While I admire the mega-buck systems, and envy the luxury of putting together a cost-no-object system, I have had to build my system using used, demo, (my Dynaudio Contour 5.4's were demos), and also had many of my components upgraded, some more than once. I am now very proud and happy with the way my system sounds and looks, and it's part of the fun of this great hobby to build a system the best way you can, and enjoy what you are able to come up with. I have learned a great deal from some of the owners of extreme hi-end systems, some of the guys are very knowledgeable, and are generous in helping out others, regardless of what the person can afford or not.

The 'Gon is here for all of us, rich or poor, and a great asset. I wouldn't have such an enjoyable system without it.

Just enjoy it all,

Dan
The assembly of "expensive" equipment does not guarantee good, much less, extraordinary sound. Even with an expensive system, matching, synergy and tweaks are extremely important. If anything more expensive speakers unfortunately are much more revealing of flaws of other components in the chain. Most of those expensive systems have evolved over a very long period of time, a piece at a time and most of those that have assembled those sytems started out with very inexpensive equipment, gradually over time replacing a piece with something better.
Who would put a "cheap" (sub-$40,000.) system up to be laughed at.
It would be like bragging about your Focus (car) on a site for supercars. Though preaching for equality, it really IS about the money
I HAVE a less than $20K system, and would never bother to show it to anyone here. Why cast pearls before swine? (that last comment was supposed to be sarcastic AND funny)
A further thought, part of the value in looking at those "expensive" systems is that sometimes you will find items that you might want to incorporate into your own system and which do not cost an "arm and a leg." For instance, the Acoustic Revive AC line conditioners (RTP-4), while not cheap are far less expensive and more effective than some of the higher priced AC line conditioners on the market. The same can also be said for their power cords. In some applications they are excellent. In my system, certain components (digital) respond very well to the RTP-4 while others clearly benefit from the more expensive Isoclean AC conditioners and power cords. It would also be honest to say that I have discovered tweaks by looking at "less costly" systems. I heard a system over the weekend that was built around the Parasound JC-1's, Acoustat full range electrostats and some older EMM Labs gear that was truly excellent. The total system investment was probably a little over $20,000 not counting cables. Excellent sound can be had at reasonable prices particularly for those willing to buy used through Audiogon.
Fcrowder, I can understand that someone might gain some pearls of wisdom by looking at the uber-expensive systems, but I feel that I learn so much more about value and synergy from the more value-oriented virtual systems.

And Elizabeth, I understand your comment that people with "lesser systems" might not want to advertise it because it would be perceived as too pedestrian to be on Audiogon.

For me, I'm hoping that these people start coming out of the woodwork.

Michael