Audio Technica VM540ML v. N97xe Jico SAS

Gonna pull the trigger on a new cart/needle in the next month. Any recommendations between the 2 mentioned above?
bstatmeister

Showing 13 responses by bstatmeister

Seems like the Jico has a better cantilever with it being boron, but the 540 has dual magnets for better channel separation. Looks like a tie with tips. Micro line and SAS look real similar.
I would like detail, but want to keep nice full bass. Anything to worry about with the 540? It's not too bright or thin?
Sorry Viridian, trying to find out the capacitance of the Mani, doesn't look like it has it directly? Perhaps it's in the details here?

Gain 1 = L, Gain 2 = L (Decca Mode)
Gain: 30dB
THD: <0.005%, A-weighted, at 1V RMS
SNR: >90dB, A-weighted, inputs shorted
Crosstalk: -75dB, 20-20kHz
Sensitivity: 9mV for 300mV output
Overload Margin: >20dB

Gain 1 = L, Gain 2 = H (Standard MM Mode)
Gain: 42dB
THD: <0.008%, A-weighted, at 1V RMS
SNR: >82dB, A-weighted, inputs shorted
Crosstalk: -75dB, 20-20kHz
Sensitivity: 2.3mV for 300mV output
Overload Margin: >20dB

Input Impedance: Selectable 47 ohms (typical for MC cartridges) or 47k ohms (typical for MM cartridges)
RIAA Accuracy: +/- 0.2dB, 20-20kHz
Output Impedance: 75 ohms
Topology: Fully passive RIAA network with ADA4897 and AD8066 gain stages, thin-film resistors, and film capacitors throughout
Power Supply: “wall wart” style 16VAC transformer, regulated +/- 5V rails
Power Consumption: 4W
Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”
Weight: 1 lb
Also, for those who've heard both (maybe I should start a separate thread on it, but I'll throw it out there anyway) How about how the Nagaoka MP-150 compares to the 540ML? They are nearly identical in price.
Thanks Stevecham, what does this mean on whether one cart will perform better than another?
yeah just recently the main plastic body of my 97xE came off the metal upper portion of the cart while I was putting on new leads (looks like the glue disintegrated). I super glued it back but it could be a little off center/crooked...
But tracking force of the Nagaoka is only 1.5 - 2.0 (similar to the Shure) why would I want to add extra wight?
Looks like a direct correlation. the nag and 540ML overlap in the VTF and their masses are almost the same, so both have similar compliance
@chakster what do you recommend that is new (no NOS) for no more than $300 that is better than the AT VM540ML, Nag MP150, or N97 Jico S.A.S?
Thanks @chakster , I appreciate you trying to steer us in the right direction. You are right, I have never heard any golden age carts, but I haven't heard many new ones either. Perhaps ignorance is bliss? Really the ONLY cart I've spent any amount of time with is the Shure M97xE -  I've had for 10 years and now it's giving up the ghost. Surely the ones I mentioned should at least put the Shure to shame? But if you are talking about what's the absolute best for under $300, now you have me intrigued by the Garrett K3...How would you compare the Garrett K3 to the 540ML? Both seem to have similar tips - Micro line compared to Shibata (I take it the Shibata is a step above?) how would this translate into what I will hear in the music all else being equal? more detail? more bass? better sound stage? Just trying to piece it all together. Thanks for your time!
Just bought the AT VM540ML. I didn't want to buy the JICO SAS since the main part of the Shure cart body was ever so slightly crooked after I super glued it back together.

After doing a lot of research I am confident that I bought the right one. (should pair Nicely with my Vandersteens since those are a bit laid back the extra treble and detail will do them nicely). I am excited. I will report back probably end of next week with my initial impressions.