Audio Technica VM540ML v. N97xe Jico SAS

Gonna pull the trigger on a new cart/needle in the next month. Any recommendations between the 2 mentioned above?
bstatmeister
There are, in fact, a large, and a small major radii Shibata cut stylus. The large cut has a 75um major radius, the same as the Microline. The minor dimension of the large Shibata is 6um vs just over 2um for a Microline. How could this possibly translate to a 2:1 better wear characteristic for the Microline vs the Shibata cut?

I would appreciate seeing the math that supports that conclusion. Wear is also changed by such things as stylus tracking force, quality of polish, cleanliness of records, etc, and I assume part of the assumption is that these factors are held constant. How do we get to this 2:1 wear figure with a smaller contact patch?

https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information
@bstatmeister

Shibata or MicroLine are all good, but i could mention 10 more different profiles, i think this topic if not about profiles, but about a good or very good MM cartridge for $300 ?

However, if you want to look at some of the best diamonds clikc here, the Shibata is in the middle, on the left is Van den Hul and on the right is Fritz Gyger.

For more information about different styli click here it’s a long thread with data and pictures.

Audio-Technica is one of my favorite brands, their cartridges are really good, the AT-ML150 OCC was a mind blowing for $350 in my experience, Cantilever is Beryllium, stylus is MicroLine. But for much higher price the top model in AT-ML series is my reference cartridge AT-ML180 OCC or OFC.

On the budget side the AT20SLa (Shibata) and even a $250 Ortofon M20FL Super (FineLine) are superb!
For this Ortofon M20FL Super i still have a NOS FineLine stylus (D20FL Super) in original box if anyone need it:) 

Unfortunately top models of vintage carts from the 80’s from any manufacturers only goes up in price.

I’m wondering why older member did not bought them 20 years ago when the price was really nothing compared to today market value ? Some member bought them long time ago and do not complain about high prices.

Victor invented Shibata stylus, the best cartridge they made with Shibata is X-1II. It’s getting more and more expensive slowly, because it’s a killer MM cartridge with Beryllium Cantilever and Nude Shibata tip.

This is AT’s MicroLine, looks very impressive, but cartridge design is not just about the stylus tip. How about the cantilever? As much as you move from Conical/Elliptical to Shibata/MicroLine in upgrade of the stylus, you can do the same upgrading Alluminum cantilever to Titanium or Beryllium or Boron ... in theory.

Practically it would be hard to tell what is the "best", because it’s a personal preferences and system dependent.

You want a NEW cartridge and the Garrott Brothers is what i’d like to add in the list. This is an old brand, the original owners are no longer with us. I am using the old Garrott P77, now they have P77i (improved version), the K-3 is one step behind.

Just bought the AT VM540ML. I didn't want to buy the JICO SAS since the main part of the Shure cart body was ever so slightly crooked after I super glued it back together.

After doing a lot of research I am confident that I bought the right one. (should pair Nicely with my Vandersteens since those are a bit laid back the extra treble and detail will do them nicely). I am excited. I will report back probably end of next week with my initial impressions.