Emm Labs SE combo versus Wadia 581-SE

Hi Guys,

Anyone here compared the Emm Labs SE combo against Wadia 581-SE. Both will be driving the amps directly. Any feedback will be appriciated. Rest of my system: Krell KAS, Revel Ultimate Salon.
Thanks
flashunlock
I've never heard the 581. Also, as noted but not explained, my 860 is modified, fairly significantly, by Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound, who used to work at Wadia and before that ARC. He's well-known for his Wadia mods, and I was amazed at the musicality of the modded version. The unmoded version (which I used for a couple of years) was overly concerned with treble, and detail, detail, detail, and was fatiguig. The GNSC version has much improved tonal balance and a very smooth top, though it is still quite detailed. But it still has some positive Wadia characteristics, including rock solid bottom end (even more so, really) and, like I say, great detail (but smoother). I mean to say here that there is a family resemblance between the unmodded 860 and the GNSC 860, but the GNSC 860 is (for me) much more pleasant to listen to.

I did not like the unmodded 860 straight into my amp generally, although on a very few of the exact right CDs, it was stunning. It's just that on quite a few CD's, I heard more than I wanted to know. I've never tried the GNSC 860 straight in.

The EMM is less dynamic than the GNSC 860. It actually has somewhat more detail. The soundstage seems further back from the speakers and is a bit wider, I'd say. Particularly with orchestral music, the extraction of detail from redbook CD's is remarkable.
In this price range you really need to consider the Playback Designs MPS-5. There are comparisons to the EMM elsewhere here and at The Asylum.

Dave
Since I cannot audition any EMM, I have the following choices. Please advice which is better.

1: Wadia 581-SE ( driving direct)( only max 4.5V output, might get max out)
2: EMM CDSA-SE ( with a Krell HRC-HR Pre)
3: EMM SE Combo ( no pre)
4: Wadia + Krell HRC-HR pre

Rest of system : Krell KAS mono's + Revel Salon ( 86db@6 ohms.
Let me know if any of you have the EMM SE combo ( multi voltage )for sale at a resonable price.

Thanks in advance.
You will make a mistake if you buy something based on someone’s “what is better” suggestion.
You have to hear for yourself, preferably in your system.
The possibility of one the same player sounding the same in two different systems and rooms is nearly zero. Add to it sound preferences of a person that heard any of the players in some system somewhere, and try to translate wording used to describe the sound.
You will not know anything more than when you asked the question.
If it is a coin toss...

I would choose Wadia if you listen to classical music. It has the ability to pull out the detail of professional musicianship, the textures and layers from the composer, and the subtle nuances in balance and rhythm from the conductor. It also presents a realistic soundstage that makes a believable representation.

I might consider EMM if you listen to jazz, pop, and rock music. I don't feel those genres benefit as much from high resolution. The EMM may have some warmth that is needed for many popular recordings.

For classical music, I keep on coming back for the details. That is why I have 15 recordings of Mahler #2. If you like jazz and pop, the details are interesting, but does not sustain itself.

I seriously doubt that the max output on the Wadia would not readily play at an unhealthy level of loudness. Perhaps you know something I don't though.

In terms of Wadia with pre vs. no pre, there is no firm consensus. If you go without a pre and only have a single source, then you need to invest in a proper platform, power cord, and consider a modified unit.