Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
The problem with the amplifier doppler shift theory is that it hinges on a redefinition of the term "doppler shift." At least in science, terms have precise meanings, almost always defined mathematically. Redefining the terms renders the terms meaningless.

The doppler shift refers to a shift in the frequency of a wave due to relative motion between the receiver (the person or the recoding medium in this case) and the source of the wave. The electrical signal traveling through the amplifier cannot have a doppler shift with respect to the receiver because the person is not a receiver for the electrical wave. The person only becomes the receiver when the signal is the sound wave. Whatever happens inside the amplifier has nothing to do with doppler shift.

The original proffered argument for doppler shift in audio equipment was that the motion of the microphone transducer or the speaker driver relative to the sound source wave source or sound wave receiver, respectively, caused a doppler shift. This is also untenable because it falls outside the accepted scientific definition for doppler shift. The source of the wave and the reciever of the wave are independent of the existence of the wave in the definition. The motion of the speaker driver creates the sound wave; the motion is the source. Hence, there can be no doppler shift resulting from that motion because the wave does not exist without the motion. The same thing is true on the microphone end. The motion of the transducer creates the electrical wave. So there is no doppler shift resulting from that motion, by definition.

The receiver has to be able to receive the signal whose source is in motion relative to the receiver. If not, there is not a doppler shift.
>> The electrical signal traveling through the amplifier cannot have a doppler shift with respect to the receiver because the person is not a receiver for the electrical wave. The person only becomes the receiver when the signal is the sound wave. Whatever happens inside the amplifier has nothing to do with doppler shift.<<

Musicnoise,

I understand your confusion in this matter. Let me try to put it a different way. We all use computers and are familiar with “ZIP’ files yes? For those who don’t know – it simply a way to compress a file using an algorithm which when de-compressed or unzipped will restore/recover the original file. If you write a letter to someone and “zip” it up – email it to your friend and he “unzips” it on his PC he will have a virtual copy of the original file. The analogy is a stretch but stay with me.

If you use an editor program and make small changes to the zip file (while it is in the zipped format) and then unzip it. What would you get? Well depending on how much you tampered with it – you may have some misspelled words, an extra character or some other deviation from the original letter.

The point is that even though the “output” letter was properly decoded by the unzip program, the letter displays the results of damage done to it while it was in another format.

If you record a voice speaking into a microphone – the acoustic energy striking the mic is converted to the “electrical world”. This electrical format is the handled as you would expect in a long journey until finally it is converted back to acoustic energy by your loudspeakers. If however you tamper with the signal in while it is still in the electrical format - what you will hear (after conversion) by your loudspeakers is the acoustic equivalent of the damage done to the recording. In this case it is the Doppler you describe as only made possible by some physical motion in the acoustic world.

It is possible for an event that is occurring inside an amplifier to have this very effect on the outside world. In this case the person becomes the receiver of sound waves that contain the extra sonic effects that are the direct result of a signal passing through an unstable electrical world. The encode/decode algorithms at a finite level do not match.

Regards,

Roger
Roger, the term for the time it takes a signal to pass through an amplifier is called Propagation Delay. It is usually a constant at all frequencies within the pass band of the amplifier circuit. But- has nothing to do with Doppler Effect.

I noticed that you did not answer any of my questions. Do you have intention of doing so?
Roger paul: There is no confusion. What you initially described is not doppler shift and your analogy and most recent explanation is contrived, at best. You are not describing doppler shift. My suspicion is that this adherence to an obviously incorrect series of statements involves a profit or justification for a purchase. The explanations are so far from the truth that there must be some motivation.
... there must be some motivation.
Musicnoise (Threads | Answers)

There's no hidden agenda here that I can see. It's obvious. The man wants to sell his wares, and overcoming buyers' objections is part of the process.

As is raising them.