Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
Coot,

Pipe organ music lovers are almost always prime candidates for bigger drivers and more power than most. Powered subs may not be the only way, but probably the most expedient way in most all cases, including OHM.

Just remember that recordings are recordings, not live events. I would not expect much if any music in most recordings below 20hz. The Jean Guillou recording I mentioned above is the one I know that might have the best chance.

Maybe Martykl has that or another recording with music he can measure with his gear down that low. I might have a test CD or test record around still with a 20hz test tone. Or there are tone generator apps on internet and computers that could work with the right connection to assess system performance at the lowest frequencies.

It can be done. Where there is a will (and budget) there is a way....

Good luck.
The least expensive way to assure flat 20hz response that I know of would be a Velodyne SMS-1 bass management system (+/- $500 new, if available) coupled with the appropriate subs of your choice ($1k for a pair of SVS 12" sealed subs would probably do the trick. The SMS-1 is kind of a PITA, but it allows parametric EQ down to 15hz (IIRC) with a basic RTA function that allows the user to (maddeningly slowly) adjust FR for flat response down to that frequency. It has an auto EQ function, but IME it's nearly useless. I'd also note that the high cut function is quite limited in flexibility, but I always managed to successfully work with it when I had the SMS-1 in my system.

It ain't perfect, but with the right subs, manual EQ with an SMS-1 will get you flat to <20hz.
Thanks Martykl.

I think step one will be upgrade power amp(s). Then see (rather hear) where to go from there.

Regarding EQ, I am using Amarra w/iRC. I calibrated closely following their instructions but did not care for what it did to the upper range, so a modified the graph by stopping its effect above 1k IIRC. But it did a good job smoothing out the mid-bass, which is really all I wanted. Of course it does not help with bass extension.
All this discussion about Class D makes me wonder how many of the Ohm owners on this site are running those kinds of amps and if so what? I havent heard a lot, just W4S and Wadia and I wasn't taken with either. The Wyred was 4 or so years ago and the Wadia more recently. I am looking to upgrade my amp ,whether as a separate or integrated to something modern (vs McIntosh mc250) to get more from my ohm w2-100s3. Be interested to hear others comments on this direction and products below $2k.
I use Bel Canto ref1000m amps with my OHM F5 S3 and Walsh 100S3 speakers.

These are the bomb for those I would say.

Have not heard others with OHM, but I have heard of very good results with OHM and Wyred from others, particularly audiogoner Mamboni, who is perhaps the most knowledgeable and well rounded listeners out there.

500w/ch ref1000ms work well with any OHM it would seem, but is probably overkill for 100s. THey are perfect for my 5s.

For 100s, you can easily get away with "only" 250w/ch in most all cases I would say. That will help lower the cost.

In my experience, larger OHM Walshes in particular benefit from power, current and damping. Modern good quality Class D amps tend to deliver all these in spades in a small and affordable package.

D-sonic is another Class D line worth considering on a budget.

Due to high damping in particular, Class D amps can come across as somewhat lean in some cases when this is not called for. FOr example, this is the case running my little Triangle Titus monitors of the BCs. The resulting sound can be a touch towards the lean and bright side, however over tweaks like adjusting speaker location relative to floor can help even out even this case, so anything is possible with Class D if done right I would say.