Phono pre-amp for Shelter 501 MK

What kind og phono pre amp for the shelter 501 mk2,
budget $1100, I whas thinking og the EAR 834P phono stage,
but its not switchable and can only be set at only 47ohm will that be a problem?

Regarts
daemon

Showing 4 responses by hdm

I was a little skeptical of the posting on the Aqvox as well, but now that it's been recommended and some credibility questioned, I figure I may as well chime in as I'm not a new member and just bought one.

I actually paid a bit more than the current price listed on Audiogon, but I did have the opportunity to audition the piece before I bought it. I don't have alot of experience with high end stages, but I have difficulty believing anyone would be unhappy with the Aqvox. Sound quality is superb (I'm using it with a Denon 103R on a Gyrodec/FT-3 and it sounds fabulous even though the TNT review suggested it might not match up well with the plain Denon 103-a member at Audioasylum is also using the Aqvox with a 103R and is very happy) particularly running into the balanced input; I'm running fully balanced all the way to my integrated and the sound is very good. The Aqvox is also incredibly flexible in terms of both gain (fully adjustable from 40-75 db) and loading, although using the balanced "current" input, loading essentially becomes a non-issue with any high output or low output moving coil.

There are a number of very positive reviews: Hi Fi World has it listed as one of their best phono stages and I see that someone at Positive Feedback has nominated it as "Product of the Year" and feels it would be an outstanding phono stage at twice the price.

I'm not shilling, just saying that I am extremely happy with mine. Just (if you are using a moving coil) make sure you use the balanced input to get the most out of it and, if at all possible, the balanced out as well. For $750 U.S., I think it would be very tough to beat.
In Rick's defense, (I did not realize this at the time that I posted or I would have covered it then), if you look at the forums at Canauck Audio Mart (the Canadian version of Audiogon) he uses the same username both here and there and he posted regarding his satisfaction with the Aqvox almost two months ago. I also posted to that thread (my username at Canuck is my first name) because I had read about it online and was curious. As it turns out, the Audiogon seller is in my hometown and I ended up auditioning and buying it.

So I think it's fair to say that speculation regarding shilling here, either on Daemon or Rick's part, is off base.
Daemon, you should simply be able to have your tonearm leads reterminted with balanced connectors (XLR's) which is what I did to take advantage of the Aqvox's balanced input. There are very few tonearms which are not compatible with the Aqvox's balanced in, the Rega arms being the major ones. The info is on the Aqvox website. Also (I'm not sure where you are-possibly in Europe?), if you can arrange an audition of the Aqvox it comes with RCA to XLR adapters allowing you to use the balanced input.