Technics SL-1200 Mk II; opinions??

I have an opportunity to buy a very nice Technics SL-1200 Mk II turntable with a new Ortofon cartridge for $340.00. I know the table was fairly well regarded 30 years ago, but I'm wondering if that's a decent price now. The Ortofon is new, but I'm not sure exactly which model it is. Seller says Ortofon ran him $160.00. Any thoughts?? Thanks.
klipschking
Great table. I would buy it if it is not abused/over used. I think the Applied Fidelity bearing upgrade and KAB fluid dampers are worthwhile upgrades.I have owned lots of Regas, Systemdek, Musichall, Linn LP12, Thorens 160HD Etc and surprisingly I like this the best. I have the 1210 M5G with these upgrades and it sounds wicked!. accurate speed with stability, the best VTA adustment sytem I have seen on a table. Removable head shell allows you to easily swap out cartridges. I am Sold!
Price is fine. Don't worry too much about anything negative said about the Steel Wheel. I operate three Regas with MC cartridges (I hate changing/aligning them, easier to change the table), but I still have an SL1200mkII in my bedroom system, and it is probably the most consistently reliable table I have ever owned, and I currently operate 12 tables built from 1976 through 2010.
It sounds like a great deal. The 1200 is a rock solid performer. Don't let the disco tag fool ya. It entered production in 1972, well before disco came along.
Having just brought one a month ago for $342.00. It came with a Stanton 681 EEE cartridge. I would say that the price being asked for yours is in the ballpark. The 'table is a good one(research it on the web). Are there better 'tables out there. Of course! BUT, how deep are your pockets?
Why not search the forums and see what 2 cartridges have been used with the SL-1200 with good results.
The Ortofon cartridge is a Pro S. I think it is more of a "DJ" cartridge; any other thoughts?
it's a rock solid table the sound is very good. it's a fair price right in line with completed listings on Ebay. KAB also has numerous upgrades available for that table
The price sounds attractive but having had both, I'd go with a Rega P3. It's simply more musical.
but I'm wondering if that's a decent price now

Why not look at other sl-1200 tables and see what they are priced at ?

but I'm not sure exactly which model it is. Seller says Ortofon ran him $160.00

Take a look on this site :

http://www.needledoctor.com/

Sometimes we have to do our own homework......