High End Validation

Nice story (to me anyway)…

Had a pizza delivered today before the Lakers game. Latino guy in his late twenties. He’s been working at the pizza store for several years.

The stereo was playing. A solo acoustic piano piece on Paradise Radio.com.

“Nice music”, he smiled.

“Thanks”, I said also smiling.

“Is that a real piano…or the radio...?”, he asked.

“It’s the stereo”, I told him. Validation, I thought to myself.

“I like Beethoven”, he grinned.

The sun was setting on a beautiful Southern California evening.
tvad
"...."we polish and re-polish the gem so many times we don't recognize the luster"

Oh yeh!~ That's why outsiders think we are nuts. :-)

In my experience though, some times the phrase could use a substitution of the words turd and stink for gem and luster.

But I wish I had a nickel for every time I've rested and thought 'this is so good I can't imagine how it could be improved'. And that thought lasts as long as it takes for me to find a way. Thank god it's fun, otherwise this compulsion would drive us whacko.
I wish I had used a word other than validation.

That really wasn't the point at all.

I, for one, didn’t take the word “validation” in the OP as a sign of ego, narcissism, or anything else pathological. I took it to mean “satisfaction” or “gratification,” the kind that results from another person’s recognition of your success at something to which you have devoted considerable time and effort. In my view, that is a feeling that needs no justification.
I took it to mean “satisfaction” or “gratification,” the kind that results from another person’s recognition of your success at something to which you have devoted considerable time and effort.
Bryoncunningham (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)
Yes. You understand it.

Yet, prior to the comment about the piano being made, I was still striving to attain the goal. The comment by the delivery person made me recognize that in some measure, the goal had been already been achieved.

Sometimes we need a metaphorical smack up side our head to wake us up to reality.
Yikes. I really needed to edit the post above. Sorry for the confusing syntax.
More to discover