A true believer

I like to look at the pictures and descriptions of the various systems belonging to our fellow Audiogon members. Personally I admire the most humble system. But some times I see one that just leaves me shaking my head in amusement.

I was looking at the featured systems today and found one that consisted of three components that reproduced music. A cd player ($7700), a integrated amp. ($4000), a pair of speakers ($10,500). Total $22000. A very nice system. But, and I mean BUT, another $71,431 in cables, tweaks, stands. Things that sometimes in the tiniest increments help in the reproduction of music.

Just saying.
agaffer
To All True Believers:

Do you think situational awareness and the sense of sight play any part in what we hear or think we hear? In other words if we know what cable is playing and/or can see the cable, does that influence what we hear?

there is an easy way to test this. If another adult lives in your house, just have them change or not change a voodoo cable with lamp cord. Do it everyday or weekly or whatever, for as long as you want. Don't peek:) And compare notes at the end of the test, be it weeks, days or months. You just listen as normal and write down which cable is playing each day. at the end just compare notes. If you get it right, then you can hear cable. If you get it right, say, 70% of the time, you can hear cable, but, it also means 30% of the time you can't tell the difference between lamp cord and voodoo. something to ponder. Which is what I think Agaffer just said.
Frogman- It's funny that the subject of Stereo Repuke came up before my post. I was going to suggest, that we had entered a time warp, or that Julian Hirsch(of, "Everything-Sounds-The-Same" fame) had been resurrected, and was haunting those of us with even a modicum of auditory accuity. The idea that Stereo Repuke, "proved" ANYTHING, is simply H I L A R I O U S!
'The idea that Stereo Repuke, "proved" ANYTHING, is simply H I L A R I O U S!'

well, if the golden ears could not distinquish between amps with a price differental of tens of thousands of dollars, what conclusion do you draw? other than amusement.
Whose, "golden ears" were those again? OH YEAH; the deaf & dumb that wrote for Stereo Repuke! Especially notable; Julian Hirsch, who stands out as one of the biggest jokes of all time, with regards to Audio Journalism. I subscribed to that rag, simply to keep up with what was going on in the mid-fi market. After his statement(and I quote), "I never listen to live music, but- I have a pretty good idea, what it sounds like", I NEVER read the rag again. That HAD to be the most thoroughly ridiculous statement I'd ever come across, in ANY audio commentary. As I said; The idea that Stereo Repuke proved ANYTHING, is simply HILARIOUS!