Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
Trying to make a McIntosh analogous to a Mercedes is actually an excellent way to describe what I think of McIntosh, if you need to know. It's an over-priced status symbol, ruined by a conglomerate. I have now heard the McIntosh in three separate systems, including my own, and in all of them I got the same feeling from it.

I am entitled to my opinion of Mac, and you can flame all you want..I personally would care less if someone didn't like a Krell amp, or a piece I owned. If it works for you, all the power to you, I just think it is not the best value. I do however think it is a little comical how people who own Mac get so defensive of the stuff.
Certain brands have acquired 'cult' status. To me, McIntosh is kind of like Cadillac, a brand that for decades was considered to be in the luxury class, but not high performance. I still think it is largely true. There are certainly better-performing product lines out there, but McIntosh still sells because it has been around longer and it certainly is well-built. I would prefer Mark Levinson electronics by a large margin.

WOW! Jc51373 and Uraniumcommittee I can agree with you in one area and that it is your opinion and that's what makes the world go around but obviously neither one of you have heard the product in a system that is great sounding, too bad for the both of you. You both would likely get along really well.

This is a hobby and there is nothing perfect out there no matter how much it costs, that's life but you both should know that. You should make it a practise not to bash other gear,
if you don't like it find but leave it at that because when you start making absorb statements that make no sense it only takes away from your credibility.
Hey everyone has an opinion...so here is mine...being in the car business for the last 15 yrs and having sold and driven everything from A to Z..I mean just about every brand,from Kia,Daewoo to Ferrari,Lotus and Porsche etc....I personally wouldn't compare Mac to Cadillac or Mercedes....my comparison is to Ferrari...and here's why.

I have driven and sold 5 Ferraris (different models) and they all have that certain "something" that makes you want to get in and drive,even go out of your way to get somewhere.....they are not the fastest,or quickest and probably not the overall best handling....but when Ferrari puts a car together...it is "all there" and just sooooo right. To me Mac is on the same plane...maybe not most detailed,or "best bass" etc.....but listening to music thru my mac gear,makes me want to listen to...well more music.....and to me that is what it is all about.

Yes I like the looks and build quality, but the sound is most important,and I have other gear which I also like
"03-19-07: Jc51373
Trying to make a McIntosh analogous to a Mercedes is actually an excellent way to describe what I think of McIntosh, if you need to know. It's an over-priced status symbol, ruined by a conglomerate. I have now heard the McIntosh in three separate systems, including my own, and in all of them I got the same feeling from it."

No, I disagree. McIntosh is more like Cadillac. Mercedes automobiles are worth every penny, but Cadillac? Hardly!