What is "critical listening"?

Is critical listening the art of finding nits on a bald head or a is it a hard fought for level of listening acumen and competence that prevents one from buying second rate equipment? If there is such a thing, does it enhance the listening experience or detract from it?

At what point is it safe or correct to self-anoint and wear the mantle of "critical listener"?
pbb
Any amplified system begs to be critiqued, be it a "live" rock concert, or second bedroom system. I don't know how many miced events where I had to plug my ears, or back away. Never, thankfully, have I witnessed a home event with such atrocious sound.

There are some home audio maladies that pop out, for instance, a one note bass, excessive grain, or tinny highs. No critical listening is necessary. With some other's audiophile systems, I find I need less critical listening skills, and more diplomacy skills.

I am always grateful to stage techies who create a good PA system. It's a tough job. I love it when I can loose myself in the performance. Ideally, music events wouldn't be ampliphied. Unfortunately, we audiophiles haven't the choice.

It is the recreating of better recorded performances at home, that I put myself into a critical listening mode. Knowing the possible keeps system improvements on an incrementally rewarding path, leading it to where, hopefully, I never have to critically listen again.
Critical listening would be for me a left brain activity,
as opposed to the right brained activity of just enjoying the music.

...You never know when the left brain is going to pop up and say: "hey wait a minute that sounded unatural or whatever ..."

My 2c :)
Josh: in my case the "left brain activity" calms down when I'm "vibrating" to the music. Then, it doesn't come up!