Tenor Hybrid v. VTL MB-450 Sig.

I am planning on replacing my VTLs with the Tenor stereo 150 hybrid . Since I will not be able to hear them first and since they are a substantial outlay over what my VTLs are worth, I am hoping that some of you may have heard both. Would you mind characterizing the differences that I should expect to hear? I have Merlin VSMMs, a First Sound preamp, and an Audio Logic 24mxl DAC. Other amps that I am considering are the Joule VZN-100s, or a CAT JL2. My pre-purchase buyers remorse is that they will be better but maybe not commensurate with the extra cost. I am aware of the higher cost/diminshing returns reality. However, from what I have read, these hybrids seem to be a huge step up. If I audition a piece and hear an improvement that meets my personal cost/benefit ratio, I buy it. So, with no personal experience with the Tenors, I am finding it is a bit difficult to make the leap to buy the most exp. piece of gear in my system. Any input you may have is greatly appreciated. By the way, JTinn and I have had several conversations about this subject. He had been very helpful and generous with his time. In this post, I am looking for more of a comsumer point of view.
brooksl
Tubegroover, I didn't mean to sound condescending toward Jim2 nor to anyone else and apologize if I did. Truth be told, and Bobby knows it, I enjoy visiting his room at CES each year to play some tasty vinyl cuts...always fun... Some of my customers have Merlins, and they are treated with the utmost respect just as everyone else is...

Brian Walsh
I'm sure they are Brian, I was just surprised as it was coming from you who I hold in high regard in both your demeanor and taste. I just feel that Jim has received enough flack from everyone else, the point was well made prior to your post. Along with being a passionate Merlin owner he is also one hell of a great guy. Typed words without personal contact have a way of muddling things up a bit.
I think sometimes my words can have a little more bite to them than I intend. I am not much for BS and I try to call it as I see it. I think I remember being told I was wrong once. I don't recall exactly as I disregarded the comments.

I think this thread/string is a good example for people considering various components/opinions via the internet. Even those with a tremendous amount of experience in the hobby can offer opinions that don't entirely reflect what is so. That goes for experienced owners as well - me included. I must say that I have gotten pretty lucky with respect to equipment selection and what makes me happy. If there is any advice I can offer about selecting gear, or in this case - an amp, it's to try and spot trends of opinion from people you can discern have experience and similar tastes as yours. Would I ask Crump to recommend an amp for my use? Probably not. But he might be an ideal resource for someone else. And we're fortunate enough to have his experienced opinion. There are a few people whos opinion I consider a stone cold lock as it relates to my own perferences and tastes. And it is helpful to consider their opinions when wading through the chaff. That's my little nugget of pseudo-wisdom for the day.

Kevinkwann, you ask an interesting question. It reminds me of a conversation I had with Bobby around the time I heard about that 6th toe mod. As I recall, it was not based on rocket science but rather, "I wonder what would happen if we tried this today..." I suspect that sort of engineering accounts for much of the best gear in the industry today. I suppose it's the sort of thing that people with a passion for their product do. Whether or not it's commonplace for floorstanding speakers to have extra thick baffles the entire running length of the front, I am not certain. I don't build speakers or pretend to. I just know what I like. In any case, I am obliged to warn you of throngs of Merlin fanatics headed your way armed with slingshots and tubes. :)
Hi Kevin,
I ask you to read my last post again as it explains that the resonance issue was actually dealt with prior to the review in Stereophile. Flying changes to the production of the VSM were made in advance of the review but the review sample did not have the changes because of the time issue. The truth of the matter is that the resonance is not measurable unless extreme output (well above 100 dB) is generated making this a non issue for 99.9% of the listeners. That is why this matter was dealt with after the cabinet material change and not before.
Regards,
Bobby@merlin
I just re-read your post, Bobby.

D'OH!

I will endeavor to improve my reading skills.
In any case, fwiw, I think your VSM speakers
are among the most transparent and dynamic on
box speakers on earth. Those who "think"
the Sound Labs can achieve anywhere near the
dynamic nuance and capability are kidding themselves.
Or just don't know better.