Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
EA Micro Two:

They are hoping to keep them in the $8,000 range/pair. They are going to be approximately 42 inches tall.

This thing is long delkayed though...
Matt, thanks for sharing that. I think most of us listen to a lot of digital and that's why we loved your thread to begin with. As you have said trying different speakers in your own home is different from smaller electronics, lol....I like how you think when looking at these components in that some have hidden costs (i.e. needing more electronics etc) that have to be taken into consideration. Too many great choices without having to go that route I would think too.
Thanks for the list Wisnon. I have the Boenicke W8SE+ in my house right now. They are excellent, but not in the same league as the more expensive speakers I am looking at. I want something truly full range.

The Rethm, Albedo, Klanwork and Heil are all good speakers, but not truly full range and not in the same class as the other speakers I am looking at. They are good no doubt. But don't provide the complexity, nuance, detail, refinement, dynamics and scale I am after. The Kaiser are truly full range, but require tons of space off the front wall because of the multiple ports and drivers on the back of the speaker. And I find the Kaiser overly bright at times.

The Micro One is also great. But even with more low end its not in the same class. It will be a giant killer at $8k though. And Jonathan Tinn is a truly good guy and makes amazing product!

I have only heard 2 or 3 speakers at any price that compare with the Marten Coltrane Tenors. And only the $105k Kharma Midi Exquisite S has the petite footprint that the Tenors do.
07-12-15: Ctsooner
I have and love the OSDE/SE. I run them on the Treo's and Ayre AX 5 Twenty. I get all emotion when it's there, but it's not even close to vinyl. I've heard most of these DACS in my system except for the Lamp...I personally have heard them a few times and they don't do it for me. It's a personal thing and I'm not attacking any of you who have and love them. I also am not a PS Audio guy, but plenty love them too.

I like the Totaldac gear a lot and I like Bricasti a ton too. I've heard and love the full DCS stack, but it's still not good vinyl yet. It just isn't as relaxed as vinyl. I would bet that Matt is making much of his decisions on vinyl since I know how much he loves and listens to vinyl.

What Lampis have you heard? The Golden Gate is the closest I have heard to vinyl and its a considerable distance from the 7 in terms of performance (in my system). I do not own vinyl, ,but I have dialogued with others who own both, and this opinion is almost universal.
Agear - What is the Golden Gate's best input? Does it use the CMOS chip for USB?

I think many agree that one of the big Lampy drawbacks was its less then stellar usb input performance. Has that been corrected with the GG or is an Empirical Audio OffRamp still needed to get the most out of that inout?