Parasound JC1's vs. Sim Audio W10

I am looking for amps to drive some MBL 101d's and wonder which of these two monoblocks would work the best. Or any other suggestions that you might have.
husk01
I'm not doubting that the JC-1's are a nice amp, in every respect. It has a very rich lineage in terms of the designer, circuit lay-out, voicing and parts quality used.

Having said that, when one hears a well designed low / no global feedback design that is well implimented in a system, there's just something about it that a higher global feedback amp seems to lack. You can call it "liquidity", "air", "separation of notes", "life", "sparkle", "midrange palpability", etc... but it is both noticeable and quite audible.

This is not to say that there aren't amps out there using high amounts of global feedback that produce these sonic attributes, but to say that i've never heard one that could deliver such things in both the manner and quantity that a low / no global feedback circuit does. In effect, you CAN have a very good tasting cake, but that doesn't mean that the cake couldn't be just a bit better in certain areas.

Having said that, not everyone likes or desires the same attributes in a cake OR audio gear, so the bottom line boils down to personal preference. Many times, personal preference boils down to what one has been exposed to at the time and / or the listening ability of those involved. As one's experience and education evolves, so does their ability to judge the products on a more even footing. Not only does this change their perspective, it also changes their criteria for what is best suited for their needs and desires within the confines of their system.

Having said that, at this level of performance, we are splitting hairs here. It is kind of like admiring the shimmer and glow in the hair of a beautiful blonde, the rich dark contrasts of a brunette or the fire and sheen of a red-head. All have their drawing points and can be beautiful, yet each is different in their own way. When you find the one that you like and admire the most, who can tell you that you should like one of the others better? While it is true that variety is the spice of life ( don't we all wish??? ), finding something that you can live with over the long haul is both comforting and enjoyable.

Kudo's to you that have done so and are comfortable with your decision. Beauty is obviously in the eye ( and ear ) of the be-holder, so don't take anyone else's criticism of what you have or desire too seriously. If one product ( or human being ) were "perfect" for all situations, there would be no need for the amount of diversity that enables us to make the choices that we have open to us. No product ( or human ) is created equal in all areas, so we have to pick and choose the traits that are most important to us.

As i've always said, buy and use what you like. You're the only one that's going to be using & listening to it on a regular basis. Whether or not i or anyone else like it is trivial at best. Most of us that visit here regularly realize that, and we are simply comparing personal notes & "shootin' the breeze" : ) Sean
>
Lanny. Yeah, we live a little too far to swap equipment - at least amps :).
1400 hours is a little too long for anyone to be expected to wait, unless you have all ready put down the mula.

time to put on some more music
No comparison - the W-10 all the way, and the more affordable W-6's smoke the JC1s. Remember, the Parasounds are built in Taiwan, are not balanced (huge error on Parasound's part) and have a pretty face. They charge $6k because the contractor who built them (Parasound isn't a "real" company - they don't build anything) has to do a large quantity, so for them to recoup their investement quickly, they have to charge a higher price. The Sims are hand built, using really good parts and an excellent design. Plus they have a 10 year warranty and if you need parts the 15th year they have them. Parasound, you're SOL after 7 years.
Audio4ever, you might want to check your facts. JC-1s have both balanced and single ended inputs, as can be verified on the Parasound website. It sounds as though you haven't looked 'under the hood' of the JC-1s to see the premium parts throughout, including Harris high speed soft recovery diodes, Nichicon Muse caps, Holco and other premium resistors, etc. The warranty is 10 years parts, 5 years labor, so your remark about being SOL after 7 years doesn't make sense. Yes, they are assembled in Taiwan, which enables them to be sold at the price they are, as if hand built they would likely be at least 2 1/2 times the price. Personal preferences aside, it sure sounds as though you have an ax to grind.
I also have to disagree with Audio4ever.
I recently listened to the Sim WS-6's in a friends system.
I was initially impressed with the Sim's.
I then brought over my JC-1's and we unhooked the Sim's, and put my JC-1's in their place.
No contest: My JC-1's were more focused, transparent, dynamic, had deeper and better controlled bass, and had better soundstaging.
While the Sim's sounded excellent, they were too recessed for own own tastes, and the bass quality was so so.
My friend also prefered my JC-1's, and was shocked that they indeed sounded better than his Sim WS-6's!
Just my 2 cents.