Best Mahler Third

I have been listening this year to a new Mahler 3rd that now IMO is clearly best now available, Rattle/EMI. Those familiar with Mahler 2nd Rattle/EMI from 1987 know the fine readings Simon Rattle is capable of. This new 1998 3rd is sonically the best mahler recording I have heard, extreme dynamic range and powerful bass, delicate inner detail. My previous favorite was Horenstein/Unicorn, and I also own Bernstein/DG and have heard Salonen/Sony which also is great sound but average performance. Anyone else have a favorite or comment on Rattle/EMI 3rd?
128x128megasam
Performance-wise, the best I've heard is the Levine/CSO version (late '70s, early '80s). I may be biased, but no one plays Mahler better than the CSO, with Herseth, Crisafoli (sp?) etc. brass section back then. Best 2nd of all I've heard was the Abaddo/CSO on DG. This again is performance, not sonics. Just my HO. Chris
Without a doubt the best sonically. However in the final movement I think that the long line disappears. Horenstein captures it. I also think that Levine does an excellent job but I'm biased when it comes to the CSO since I attended almost every performance in the 70's (including the performance that preceeded Levine's recording)
Time doesn't permit me much elaboration here. I would generally echo positive comments re CSO/Solti. A wonderful all-around Mahler 4 offering is a '92 Sony recording of the LA phil./Salonen/Barbara Hendricks. This is an especially natural sounding recording with none of the usual digital atrocities. I would like to discuss Mahler much more extensively if this thread continues.