Two systems? Why?

I mentioned on another thread that I have two completely different systems, one for HT and one for music. I wonder how many of y'all have taken that approach. Anyone care to comment on your systems and how they differ?

I'll start off.
My HT system: Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2 mains, Reference CC, Reference ADP surrounds, and Servo 15 sub; Parasound 2500u pre/pro; Parasound 2205AT amp; Toshiba SD5700 DVD; Sony CX90ES CD jukebox; Monster cables.

My music system: JM Lab Mezzo Utopia speakers; Belles 350A amp; Rega Jupiter 2000 CD; various cables. No vinyl and no tubes (gasp).

Persons familiar with this gear will see clearly that I am seeking two quite different goals with these systems.

Others take a moment to share?
bishopwill
Please don't misconstrue my take on this matter. I too feel that the video is where the focus should be. The audio portion is much less important and is no big deal was my point. After all it is just a bunch of processed information and beyond a good 5 channel receiver, 5 small speakers or even 2 good main speakers and maybe a sub or 2 it wouldn't be important to go beyond that, to me.

So far as full range speakers for surrounds with large subwoofers in a home theater application it is just conspicious consumption marketed to folks that can afford and want it. Although I can well afford it, I don't want it. I have heard some of these super systems that for the most part sound bombastic and unless watching an epic type film with lots of sound effects it is just overkill. Just a personal preference.

When Audio Magazine went under they switched my subscription, which I had just reupped for 3 years, to Sound and Vision. Half the time I don't even open it.
Maybe this is another thread: which is more important in HT, the audio or the video? Tubegroover and Slartibartfast argue for video but that isn't the case for me. When video freaks start in about their chrominance plots and their line doub--uh, trip--uh, quadruplers and individually adjusting each of the 16 trillion mirrors on their DLP chip, my eyes glaze over. Come to think of it, that's the same glaze I see in the eyes of non-afiles when we get a good squabble going over cable terminators or time domain errors in speaker design, or the pros and cons of OTL amplifiers.

I can tolerate nearly any old TV if the sound is good. If the sound sucks then, for me, even the finest video is wasted cuz I won't sit through the movie. YMMV, of course.

Anyway, have fun.

Will
I have two systems for one simple reason: I like to listen to music while I work (home office system) as well as while I'm not (living room system). In my case, I have no TV and, obviously, no home theatre. Both my systems are plain, two-channel audio.

LR System: Thorens TD-125 mk II with Grace 707 arm, Reson Reca cartridge; Sony X779ES CD player; SAE tuner; Meitner PA-6i preamp; Meitner MTR-101 monoblocs; Tannoy System 12 DMT II speakers; Museatex cryogenic interconnects and speaker cable.

By no means ultra high-end, price-wise (everything but phono cartridge and some cables purchased used), but satisfies me.

Office System: Pioneer PD-91 (as transport); Monarchy 18B DAC; Bryston 11B preamp; Meitner STR-55 power amp; Tannoy System 12 DMT I speakers; XLO Pro 1200 speaker cable; Belden and Canare StarQuad cables for interconnects.
I have 2 systems

Main Home System:

Pass Labs x-250, x-1, Thiel 2.3's, Sony SCD-1

Bed Room System:

Grado RS-2, RA-1, Denon dcd-1650ar
yes ed the 930 is a car. i have 2 cars one 91 911 turbo and an 85 928s . i love cars as much as stereo, but that hobby can get even more out of hand than audio, because of mantenince and tire wear, etc. i bet you have alot of fun running on the track. thanks for your response on my email as well.