Believers VS. nonbelievers???? GEEzzzzz

Curious how certain products elicit praise from one body and "I can't believe you fall for that snake oil..." from others.
I have a hard time believing some of the stuff (the WORST example is the "Tice Clock" from the early 90's, that you just had to have in the same room!!!)but in general, some of the protesters are ranting on "general priciples" and never tried the stuff/thing in question...(I myself was in that category on power cords till I tried one) and even if they did, it may not have been effective on thier particular system, but just what was needed on someone elses.
==============================================
What I am trying to say in a half formed way is that an honest concern about a product and trying to help guide other away from the "stupid mods" is a difficult path to walk. And since we are all experts and know all there is to know about "audiophilia" maybe we could be more modest in damning stuff others think is worth doing. Rather consider that it may be a path of exploration we choose not to follow now. To say "I haven't explored that but I don't think it's worth trying" vs "you are crazy to think that works and a fool for trying it." is a BIG gap.
Any comments?????
elizabeth
I think we have rat holed on Jostler3 enough. The Tice clock was the perfect example. I would offer up the "two dimes and quarter on the front corner of the speaker tweak" as being just as worthless as a sound improvement as the Tice Clock, but a hell of a lot cheaper to implement. People that heard that difference must of had really good hearing. I seem to recall something about safety pins in certain corners of your speaker's fabric but can't remember the name of it. Do you have others? Now I'll stray off the topic to add another thread topic and here is the preview. I think certain tools which do produce tweak results sounding better are extremely benificiencial but needless expensive for one person to buy. For instance, some friends and I share certain items fluxbusters, winds stylist gauge, mobies, TT strobe speed checkers even green pens.
Sorry,

I remember auditioning the Tice clock and quite frankly, it had an effect not unlike what can be had currently by inserting one or 2 Audioprism Quietline passive shunt filters into the mains circuit(ie- slightly quieter background, increased depth, and somewhat improved tonal contrasts/colours).
I have a friend that purchased one back then who still swears by it and has demonstrated its effect to me and others on several occassions.
I feel it received the bad reputation mostly due to the hype surrounding its release and accusations of charlatanism by sceptics like our dear Jostler.Recall that it came out just as the effects of line conditioning and cable were still in their infancy.
The effect was small and of questionable dollar to results value but nontheless an audible one.
There were shortly afterwards rumours being spread that the identical looking (black rather than white case) RS clock from which Tice used as the vehicle for whatever was done inside had a similar effect.
I also tried the RS unit and heard no effect whatsoever.Tice's reputation was nearly destroyed by folks who would not even try to audition or hear for themselves because of their narrow minded biases yet would be quite vocal and malicious in their slander.
To this day I do not know what Tice's TPT is and do not own Tice products but I do not question that the Tice clock actually did something, whether the *promotion* of it was fanciful advertising, my perception that the amount charged was out of line with its benefit or that the disturbing concept of a cheap alarm clock making sonic improvements was just too bizarre to accept.

Best,
Ken
I had a similar experience as Ken, I too was able to hear an improvement with the Tice Clock. Later on, I replaced the clock with an 8 pack of Quiet Line filters from Audioprism for less money, and better results. I really don't think the effect of the clock or the Audioprism filters are any more bizarre than being able to hear shutting off the fluorescent display on certain CD transports, or unplugging some pieces of electronics that have a standby circuit and/or a remote control. All electrical devices plugged into power outlets cause noise to some degree, whether it is clearly and distinctly audible, varies drastically from system to system. Whatever was in the Tice clock effected the noise on the AC line, much like the Audioprism shunt filters. The simple reason the clock only had to be in the same room, was that in a typical home, there are multiple devices sharing various outlets in the room. The clock did not "send out" any magic, it effected the noise on the electrical service by being plugged directly into the AC. Now for something that I found difficult to believe. I recently visited a high end manufacturer, and in his sound room was a black box, about the size of two shoe boxes, plugged into the wall by a large AC cable. I ask what it did, and the answer was that it drastically reduced the electric bill. This box somehow causes the meter to read more in favor of the customer, even though it consumed power of its own. This to me is just as bizarre as the clock, but knowing this guy, I am certain the story is true. He says it amounts to over $150.00 savings a month, and since the readings are done by the power company, I'm certain that it is not his imagination at work.
I remember borrowing a Tice clock many years ago after having read Michael Fremer's rave review in TAS. I found the whole thing absolutely crazy and did not believe a word of it. To my surprise I did percieve, with the thing plugged in, exactly what was mentioned above: A better soundstage and tad more silence in the background. And you know, what I decided then: I truly prefered not to believe my ears, put it away as an audiosuggestion, ignored the postive comments of my female companion and gave the clock back. So here ideology won over empiricism in the sense, what CANNOT be real, simply IS not real. No, you don't have to pray to the audiogods for me. I've learnt a thing or two in the meantime. But I thought I'll bring this post, because I feel that many of the "scientists" here possibly still function the way I did then, you know: possibly golden eared, but ideologically tinned over.
hey albert, i want info on the black-box yer mfr-friend uses.

thanks, doug s.

ps - i unnerstand that tice cryogenically treated his *clock*, & currently uses cryogenics on his present products. mike vansevers is also a firm believer in cryogenics; i believe there are others out there who also use it. if i can sweet-talk some dr's here at the nih to let me use their -90f freezers, i may czech it out...