What is ceiling smear?

Just wondering, but some people talk about 'ceiling smear'. What is it? Does it degrade sound? How can it be corrected?
sh1020d13
snooker's post is prolly more informative than mine, :>) but 1st-reflections from the ceiling can be ameliorated w/acoustical panels, the same way ewe deal w/them from the side-walls: place the panel at the point where ewe could see the speakers from the listening-position if the panel was a mirror...

doug s.

I believe that "ceiling smear" is a term that refers to flavored cream cheese that has stuck to the ceiling when someone's child flings their bagel skyward...
Snooker - I'm sorry you don't like the visual. I myself have developed 'wall art,' a medium of expression wherein the pinnacle is to kill a bug (the best is a large moth) against a wall or ceiling while damaging it the least amount possible (but still having it stick). if it's all smashed up, that's not that great. i have a few keepers - moths that basically look untouched but are long dead and stuck to the wall. i love the visual. i'll admit, though, that most of my guests agree with you...