Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Too rich for my blood, but what a feedback I got.

Matt will surely haul himself to Manhatten based on what I relayed to him. I am gonna try to get a local demo myself.

What did my pal say, the future is already here and most dont know it yet…wireless!
08-12-15: Wisnon

What did my pal say, the future is already here and most dont know it yet…wireless!

Agreed! My last digital front end (circa 2005) was wireless, and what a liberating experience that was. I have been waiting for speakers and everything else to catch up, and it finally looks like it has. The best wire is no wire, etc....
If Matt does rumble into Manhattan, a visit to other hi end dealers may be in order including Jeff at Highwater Sound. i have always loved his rooms at shows. I liked the Cessaro horns and Horning speakers:

http://www.highwatersound.com
Richfield, sorry I missed you yesterday and Matt, I'm sorry I'll miss you today. I've liked many of the Dynaudio I've heard. I think that may have been the speaker I"d have gotten if I didn't fall in love with the Vandersteen when I did.

As for servers, I have Steve's mac mini with Hynes power supply and it's amazing. I"ve heard most of the servers being talked about in this thread and I have to say the the three that Matt is looking at are all outstanding, but honestly, I'm not sure if they better my set up with the tricked out OSDE/SE and the mac mini playing high rez music from it's upgraded SS drive. The only problem I have now is finding the right NAS and also CD drive as I want to rip all my CD;s to a NAS and then I may get a server when things settle down and get even better. Any NAS/Blueray, DVD drives suggestions are fine too ;)...
Paul79 - I never said they were bright. In fact they were not. But I found at times they shouted at me. And the low frequency just didn't get to where I wanted. The room wasn't ideal but it wasn't poorly setup. I feel I got a good sense of what they were capable of.

Wisnon. Going Goldman is a huge right angle turn from my current direction. I'm not sure I can emotionally handle that drastic a change. I know and like Bob so I'll call him to chat.

I re-heard the Vandy 7/2 today. I don't have time now to report and I need to gather my thoughts and opinions. I'm running into the operating room. I'll post later.