Kanye West - Grammy comment, re Beck

Kanye West on-camera last nite: 'Beck needs to respect artistry.' Then a long rant about...ah just watch it.

What would Kanye say about Beethoven? Or Dylan? or Matisse?

Having fun with this as Twitter is aflame already with it. But the more I think about it, the more it gnaws on me. He was referring to Beck winning Album of the Year (instead of Beyonce). I could go on a long rant myself about his ego, general creepiness, but nothing I could add. But his comments are heard by millions of music fans...

Anyhoo, anyone else see those comments? Reactions?
128x128scott_w
Kanye's entitled to express his opinion but not on their time. I think the Grammy officials should ban him from being in the room. He's had his chance and he's blown it. Don't give him the platform to demean the voters' choices.
"The media that glorify individuals like Kanye West need a reality check. "

Their reality is they need to sell things. Plain and simple. It ain't going to change.

What can change is what people buy into. But it probably won't on a large scale. So best to just ignore the bad and focus more on the good of which there is plenty both old and new. More so than ever. Its the best time ever for people who are interested in music. I think I might even have one or two Kanye tune downloads that are harmless enough. The guy is a monye grabbing attention seeking media whore horses arse though it would seem. HE and his wife might just be the perfect pairing in that regard! Someone for everyone or so they say....
fwiw, the pazz and job (national critics) poll had beck 16th; deangelo was first, followed by run the jewels (?), war on drugs and st. vincent. to arnettpartner's point, i think there's plenty of talent out there, but i agree the less of it is really groundbreaking or original--even the best of the current crop seems more overtly derivative than their 70s/80s forefeather, though i may be just getting old and cranky.
I've got Beck "Morning Phase" on vinyl and it a really good record and sounds big full and warm. Good songs. Not making any comment about whether or not it should have won album of the year. Just saying it is a very cool record and is meant to listen to from beginning to end. Very well done