sub for $3500 or less

started this thread in the home theatre section, but maybe better suited for the speaker forum. just got a great tv and looking for the "super" sub...i'm only running 2 channel and the sub would be for movies...i'm very pleased with my system so far and believe that a bad a** sub is long over due...i very much enjoy movie night...budget is $3500 or less and would appreciate any advice from my fellow audiogon comrads... thanks, brent
128x128knollbrent
I'm running a Paradigm Seismic 12 and it's great for movies ... I can scare the hell out of myself. I had a tough time finding the best position for it; once I did movie have never been the same.

http://www.laaudiofile.com/seismic12.html

BUT

I agree with Myraj however Velodyne DD 15" at your price point... It's in a class by itself. I say 15" assuming your room is big enough to handle it. I have a large room and the 12" works just fine for movies. No use buying a 15" if you can only stand the volume on 1-2 you could get by with a 12". I have demo-ed the DD series a few times and each time I just shake my head for not going that route. 2 channel music is a different story ... but if it's for impact in movies go big!

You should hear "Lord of the Rings" ... Impressive - you will never look back.

Good luck
thanks for the info gentlemen...the velodyne dd 15 and the piega mk11 are the front runners...look forward to "The Return of the King" brent
Your budget allows for many ideas, all very very hi-end. The Velo DD line, as mentioned above, is clearly an option. Also, mated with Velodyne's SMS-1 (ouitboard box that is used internally in the DD line, incredible bass EQ for $599, a must) I'd look at ACI Maestro, Axiom EP-600, Paradigm Servo Signature as well. The Maestro will rock your foundation, and mated with the SMS-1 will integrate like never before.

Good luck, have fun, and warn the neighbors (with beer).
Horseface,

Velodyne tech support claims that in an audiophile 2 CH application, the DD-15 and DD-18 sound faster & less distorted than the smaller 10" and 12" versions. Appparently the larger cones present an easier load to the plate amp. I'm using the 15" in a 2 CH application and am pleased with its performance and ease of setup. You can buy a used DD-15 or DD-18 for $2K-$3K.

Dave